• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

They go into the tensioner clockwise, just when I am at the field, cursing at the slack cables, with two tools trying to get into a tiny space on my knees I seem to forget. They are a wonderful product in my bigger planes.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
15593686192_3e9a70df3f_b.jpg

Got my rudder all set up. SWB arm and Secraft tensioners. The instructions are very clear on the Secraft website, I saw a pic of the little tubing pieces inserted in to the end of the tensioner, and I could only assume that they are supposed to crush against the cable via the set screw. First time I have used them, and they are really nice.

AK are your ball links just screwed to the SWB arm with no nuts on the bottom? Mine screw on but I do still put on nuts but it's a PITA to remove when adjusting. How about the rest of you guys is screwing to the arm with blue loctite enough?

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
The picture on this page helps when trying to figure out which way to turn them http://www.secraft.net/shop/step1.php?number=1152

Nice... so it makes sense that when you are tightening the rudder, look at the rudder, and tighten normally -- to the right.

Does anyone else use Kevlar for the cable? I drill a hole in the ball link, thread the Kevlar cord through the threaded hole, and out the drilled hole, around the neck of the ball link, back through the hole, tie it off, then CA the Kevlar knot and to the neck of the ball link. It seems to work so well that I've used the same ball link and cord in second-generation airplanes. The one on my 74 Edge for the past year is the same one from a 78 Extra that flew with gas and electric for several years. I never had to tighten them after the installation adjustment... really... never.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I got it from Frankjp, and there are a few places you can get it online... but I need to find out from him if it is braided and what the gauge is, because I need more for the next assemblies. One of the reasons why I asked was because I wanted to know what others were using, if they used Kevlar. I'm thinking about asking my friend and neighbor who is a charter boat captain because I remember discussing it with him a long time ago for fishing. I used to chuck the cable that comes with the models and replace it with steel fishing cable anyway. The weight difference is not enough to make a difference, but it eventually sagged and stretched too. Because the Kevlar is light as air, and much stronger, I went in that direction and would like to continue with it. I'll find out more an let you know.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks for that. The cord I have does not have the PVC coating, but as long as it's not too heavy, I don't see the difference. Do you peel back the coating when you tie it off or do you just double thread it through the alum tubing, crimp, and CA?

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Here's what mine looks like tied off at the servo and CA'd. I also mount the ball links under the arm to reduce spline torque, in case you are curious, but I see no problem mounting them on the high side.

IMG_0995.JPG

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Here's what mine looks like tied off at the servo and CA'd. I also mount the ball links under the arm to reduce spline torque, in case you are curious, but I see no problem mounting them on the high side.

So Jim are those screw screwed to the servo arm or did you drill a clearance hole and use the locking nuts?

AKfreak

150cc
AK are your ball links just screwed to the SWB arm with no nuts on the bottom? Mine screw on but I do still put on nuts but it's a PITA to remove when adjusting. How about the rest of you guys is screwing to the arm with blue loctite enough?

Yep, they have the standard nyLoc nut on the bottom..