• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

AKfreak

150cc
Also that CG isn't true. Here is a DA 50. The proper CG can be achieved.
[video=youtube_share;lK0YuLkvs9s]http://youtu.be/lK0YuLkvs9s[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
If noise is a issue, then the added nose weight makes the CG that much harder to achieve and also increases an already high wing loading. To get the ES pipe you are now into the 60cc territory in cost. Dealing with noise constraints like we do up here in the NE makes some of these setups not acceptable. I just took the straight exhaust off my DA-70 basically for this reason. My VVRC-40s are now my loudest remaining setups.

I did up my Aerobeez 90" Extra for pretty cheap and a similar treatment to a Redwing 87" Slick would yield a better platform for using a canister or big pitts muffler for noise abatement.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I have a ES Composite pipe and DA-35 on my 83" MXS and at the Knoxville 3D event Jeff Williams, Arkole Blake and I flew ours together. Jeff had the DA-50 w/ES Composite pipe, Arkole had his electic and we did several hover to vertical races and they all were pretty close on vertical speed and power from hover.

20140805_000038.jpg 20140805_000019.jpg 20140805_000106.jpg

ryan_m

100cc
I cancelled my EF 76/83" MXS order yesterday.

I was PM'd by a reliable source who owns the plane that he is not optimistic about how the plane/CG will handle a DA50 with a pitts muffler. I share his concern and will let others figure it out. I never found a good engine match for my EF 78" Extra and spent too much time and money trying.

The MXS is in every way bigger and about 1 lb. heavier than the 78" Extra. A DA35 will need a pipe to move it and by that time I might as well buy a 30% plane.

IMHO - EF should have made this plane for the DA50 there are plenty of them still around.

That simply isn't true. I had a 78" Extra with a DLE-30. It's what I had laying around, the plane could have really used a bit more motor, but I was able to hover, and pull out and do all the tricks with it. It came in at 12.25 lbs I believe it was. I also had a 76" MXS, with a DA-35. Otherwise both setup the same. Same receiver, batts, power, fuel tank, switches, etc. The MXS was 12.5 lb. So a 1/4 lb difference is all. Not a whole pound. I flew mine on the DA-35, and honestly I feel it's probably enough power. It's very similar to your average 50cc plane like say a 3dhs 87" Extra 330, or 89" Slick on a DLE-55. The problem is that me, and probably others, have gotten used to the power/weight ratio of the 60" EF planes. And those are ridiculously overpowered. And so a part of me (big part) wants that type of power on the 76 and it just isn't going to be there. Not even on a DA-50. Also the 76" MXS flies quite light on the DA-35, very floaty feeling. I don't think the extra weight of the DA-50 would be a problem at all, and if balance is an issue, add an ounce of weight on back by the tail wheel. It will balance then.

I agree that the cost and everything else considered you can nearly buy a 30% plane instead of the 76 MXS, but for me, the transportation of the 76" MXS is much easier than the 30% class, and the agility of the 76" planes is a bit more too. They can be thrown around easier and a little more aggressively. The 30% ones slow down a bit and don't feel quite as fast or loose as the 76" MXS does.

AKfreak - BTW beautiful job cutting the cowl. But remember you are using a stock muffler, I need to use a heavy/large pitts muffler on my DA50 to pass the club noise standards. I will have an easy 4 ounces more than you on the engine and that's a significant amount on a plane this size.

I did see how Jeff (Team Extreme) setup his DA50 with a ES pipe. That approach does move the exhaust weight back toward the CG a which is good. My guess is that his header/pipe setup is a good 1/2 lb. plus the DA50 weights 1 lb. more than a DA35. So let's assume that the plane can fly well at that weight and I can get a good CG without added tail weight. Now, I have a power system that was the one originally recommended by EF for their 88" Edge and I will have to run a 23" prop. Ground clearance? Engine torque? P factor?

DA35 with a pipe seems like the best solution and that is what I was told by an Extreme Team member, but at what cost? My rough calculation is well over $700 for the engine, header, coupler/clamps, CF pipe and pipe mount system.

Please do not flame me for my comments, I own EF planes and they are great and the company customer service is great.

ryan_m

100cc
Did anybody flame you?
You might want to take a look at the power systems thread on rcgroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533887

Aeroplayin in particular has made a number of posts comparing the weight of the DA-50 to the that of the DA-35 and what the results would likely be on the MXS. He is very very particular with getting accurate real world weights from people that actually own the products rather than using manufacturer numbers. If I remember right, the DA-50 wasn't all that much more than the 35.

Also, if you wanted to see the plane's performance on the DA-35, with jtec pitts, not tuned pipe I posted a video of that. My motor was still not fully broken in, and I had not settled on the right prop either, but perhaps it will help.
[video=youtube;gSW6a_fnQJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSW6a_fnQJE[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
[MENTION=33]ryan_m[/MENTION] I think he's used to how people are treated elsewhere... ;)

3DRCF culture is anti-flame.