• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

AKfreak

150cc
Did you see the video above with Jase flying Jeff's plane? I fly a 22x8 on my DA50 it clears the ground just fine. I'll just say one can easily justify anything. You can justify to do the plane with a 50 or not. The fact is the plane flys well with a da50, the Pitts is a few oz heavier, but you can still achieve CG with battery placement. Since you cancelled the order, it's a mute point.

As to the edge with the DA50, it's going to be under powered considering today's standards, 5 years ago, it's would be cool, with what's available today, it's going to be a little sluggish. I think a DA60 would work well, but I'd do a DA70 on that plane. I am spoiled by my electrics and they way they punch out.

Good luck on whatever you do, AKf

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I haven't been around for a while, but here are some of our numbers from the Power thread regarding the MXS, and several contributors made this happen.

Since the question was about the gas versions, I'll limit the info to gas setups, but I will say that the electric version (3183g or 7.02 lbs) is just 3.5 ounces heavier than the electric version of the 78 Extra 300 (3083g 6.80 lbs).

The gas version of the MXS is 3527g or 7.78 lbs, so you can use your own components to get your estimated AUW, but here would be mine:

First, since I know the weight of my pushrods and ball links, and hardware, which are slightly different than the ones that come in the box, I subtract the hardware pack weight, which gives me 3282g or 7.24 pounds, or about 116 ounces to round it off, and I'll add the control horns and hinges separately at the end.

I can then add my five control surface servos and screws, SWB half and full arms, pushrods, pull-pull hardware, and my throttle servo, arm and pushrod, and all my JR HD extensions, which adds another 16.79 ounces. So far, 132.79 oz.

I can then add my AR 9 channel Powersafe, satellites, 2x 2S 2100mAh Lipos, an IBEC, and my soft and hard switches, and add another 6.46 ounces, which brings us to 139.25 oz for the airplane and the control system.

I can then add the intended DA-50 on a Pitts muffler:

Let's first add some standard stuff that will be the same for any setup just to keep things even, and you can reduce the weight by whatever savings your components will provide:

2.5 inch standard standoffs are 4.06 oz. I use something else that can reduce this in half, but let's stay with it anyway.
The larger 50cc Pitts is 7.85 oz with hardware. My 3.5 inch CF spinner is 2.08 ounces and my 23x8 Xoar is 3.9 ounces. I have a standard 500cc tanks with stoppers and tubing that is about 2.4 oz. Add another 20.29 oz, and that beings us to 159.54 oz so far.

Now for the engines without exhaust since we've already figured the Pitts:

A DA-50 with the spark plug, the prop hardware, and the ignition module, is 51.95 oz. This is about right because most guys will see 3.75 pounds or 60 ounces with the stock muffler (5.2 oz) and standoffs.

So add the DA-50 all-up with the Pitts, and we get 211.49 oz, or 13.22 pounds. Add about 16 oz of fuel, and we have a takeoff weight of 14.22 pounds. Now if I add the rest of the screws, hinges, and control horns, and add about 2.5 ounces for fuel proofing, we're right at 233 oz or 14.57 pounds, RTF with a full 500cc tank of fuel.

Add decals and other bling, and add more weight. If you are using a third battery for the ignition instead of an IBEC, add 3.5 oz, and if you are still using 3x 2S 2100mAh A123 batts, then this thing can easily come in at 15.25 pounds RTF.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
AKfreak - BTW beautiful job cutting the cowl. But remember you are using a stock muffler, I need to use a heavy/large pitts muffler on my DA50 to pass the club noise standards. I will have an easy 4 ounces more than you on the engine and that's a significant amount on a plane this size.

I did see how Jeff (Team Extreme) setup his DA50 with a ES pipe. That approach does move the exhaust weight back toward the CG a which is good. My guess is that his header/pipe setup is a good 1/2 lb. plus the DA50 weights 1 lb. more than a DA35. So let's assume that the plane can fly well at that weight and I can get a good CG without added tail weight. Now, I have a power system that was the one originally recommended by EF for their 88" Edge and I will have to run a 23" prop. Ground clearance? Engine torque? P factor?

DA35 with a pipe seems like the best solution and that is what I was told by an Extreme Team member, but at what cost? My rough calculation is well over $700 for the engine, header, coupler/clamps, CF pipe and pipe mount system.

Please do not flame me for my comments, I own EF planes and they are great and the company customer service is great.

Nope no flaming to be had here!!! Welcome [MENTION=1295]5150flyer[/MENTION] we have great guys (and gals) that don't encourage or try to start drama!

AKfreak

150cc
I haven't been around for a while, but here are some of our numbers from the Power thread regarding the MXS, and several contributors made this happen.

Since the question was about the gas versions, I'll limit the info to gas setups, but I will say that the electric version (3183g or 7.02 lbs) is just 3.5 ounces heavier than the electric version of the 78 Extra 300 (3083g 6.80 lbs).

The gas version of the MXS is 3527g or 7.78 lbs, so you can use your own components to get your estimated AUW, but here would be mine:

First, since I know the weight of my pushrods and ball links, and hardware, which are slightly different than the ones that come in the box, I subtract the hardware pack weight, which gives me 3282g or 7.24 pounds, or about 116 ounces to round it off, and I'll add the control horns and hinges separately at the end.

I can then add my five control surface servos and screws, SWB half and full arms, pushrods, pull-pull hardware, and my throttle servo, arm and pushrod, and all my JR HD extensions, which adds another 16.79 ounces. So far, 132.79 oz.

I can then add my AR 9 channel Powersafe, satellites, 2x 2S 2100mAh Lipos, an IBEC, and my soft and hard switches, and add another 6.46 ounces, which brings us to 139.25 oz for the airplane and the control system.

I can then add the intended DA-50 on a Pitts muffler:

Let's first add some standard stuff that will be the same for any setup just to keep things even, and you can reduce the weight by whatever savings your components will provide:

2.5 inch standard standoffs are 4.06 oz. I use something else that can reduce this in half, but let's stay with it anyway.
The larger 50cc Pitts is 7.85 oz with hardware. My 3.5 inch CF spinner is 2.08 ounces and my 23x8 Xoar is 3.9 ounces. I have a standard 500cc tanks with stoppers and tubing that is about 2.4 oz. Add another 20.29 oz, and that beings us to 159.54 oz so far.

Now for the engines without exhaust since we've already figured the Pitts:

A DA-50 with the spark plug, the prop hardware, and the ignition module, is 51.95 oz. This is about right because most guys will see 3.75 pounds or 60 ounces with the stock muffler (5.2 oz) and standoffs.

So add the DA-50 all-up with the Pitts, and we get 211.49 oz, or 13.22 pounds. Add about 16 oz of fuel, and we have a takeoff weight of 14.22 pounds. Now if I add the rest of the screws, hinges, and control horns, and add about 2.5 ounces for fuel proofing, we're right at 233 oz or 14.57 pounds, RTF with a full 500cc tank of fuel.

Add decals and other bling, and add more weight. If you are using a third battery for the ignition instead of an IBEC, add 3.5 oz, and if you are still using 3x 2S 2100mAh A123 batts, then this thing can easily come in at 15.25 pounds RTF.
I hope mine is at 14 lbs or darn close to it. Jeff from EF said he was at 14 with a 1/2 a tank of gas. The stock muffler and two screws has to weigh less than the ESpipe, header screws and bracket system for the pipe. If Jeff is at 14, is there really 1lb difference in a Pitts muffler and an ESC setup?

hone

150cc
Got 3 flights today on my MXS. I'm really loving the plane with the DA35. I'm still running the Falcon 20x9 and don't plan on changing it out anytime soon. Finally got to take an rpm reading, I'm getting 7460 with the 20x9.
I'm thinking I'll keep it on the jtec pitts. I was going to get the ES pipe but for my flying style it's not going to be needed. It actually feels very similar to my 78" Extra with 40cc twin power wise.

The only issue I'm having is I have to redo my choke linkage because it began to vibrate close. I'll probably go to a bell crank similar to what Jase has in his.

AKfreak

150cc
That 90° linkage setup for the choke is awesome. Mine is set up that you reach through the cowl hole, so I just might change it from the start. Joe let me know here you get the bell crank and the stand off to make the linkages. Thanks

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I hope mine is at 14 lbs or darn close to it. Jeff from EF said he was at 14 with a 1/2 a tank of gas. The stock muffler and two screws has to weigh less than the ESpipe, header screws and bracket system for the pipe. If Jeff is at 14, is there really 1lb difference in a Pitts muffler and an ESC setup?

Jeff mentioned that it was around that, and didn't know how much fuel exactly, and weighed it on a bathroom scale. I'll bet you could not get consistently accurate reading within a pound off a bathroom scale. Plus the difference between two 2S Lipos and an IBEC, three Lipos, and three LiFePO4 batts could be as much as 10 ounces.

hone

150cc
I'm using 1 fromeco 5600 relion(good for 8-10 flights :) ). I'm thinking of going to a single 2500ish lipo, changing from a 16oz to 12oz tank, and maybe changing the 3.25" truturn spinner to a CF spinner. That should shave off a decent amount of weight.