• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 70" extra

I've just put 5 flights on mine and I'm loving it. Can't add much to your flight report as it would just be a carbon copy. The 70 EXP is very stable at all speeds and tracks like she's on rails. No mixes needed as there is insignificant to zero KE coupling (CG on mine is set very close to neutral). The AUW came in a bit heavier (4.98 kg or 10.98 lb) but then it is a 10S setup:

Hacker A60-7S V2
Xoar 20x10 PJN
Phoenix ICE2 HV80
CC BEC PRO
Pair of 10S wired 5S 4000mAH Skylipo packs
3x 7985, 2x 5245 Hitecs

Flight times of 7:30 minutes pull the packs down to 3.86 volts per cell. That's with a 50/50 mix of precision and 3D. After the initial charge is bled off the packs (2000 watts peak) the power remains a steady 1900 watts with the 20x10 PJN.

Did some run-up testing with a Xoar 21x10 PJN and measured 2300 watts. That should add another pound or two of thrust. Can't wait to try the new prop, which should make hover pull-out a bit more energetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feral

I havnt had a chance to weigh mine yet.

I reakon it would make a good big plane trainer as it doesn't have extreme pitch authority like the 60". I find I need to use a bit more throttle to get it to whip its tail

Midair at HMRC on video

Phooey. My nice new shiny A60-7S electric powered 70" Extra 300 EXP is down for repairs after a midair with Mike Bivens 119" 330SC at yesterday's HMRC Fly (Corryton / Knoxville, TN). All caught on a spectators phone-cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY-mZ0DzaU

I'm flying from (standing) at the far left side of the flight line, and Mike is harriering the 119 off the edge of the runway in front of me but out of view just off and behind my left shoulder (turned, looked and confirmed his location before setting up my high pass). We are facing each other from opposite ends of the flight line, and taking turns making L/R passes, or so I thought:) At a few hundred feet up and inverted I was purposely staying high and clear to come around again for practicing slow-N-Low rolling harriers down the runway. From Mike's perspective my plane was out of view just above and behind his right shoulder, and being a silent electric... Neither of us saw the other until the last second.

I need to be flying my dream plane of a ~100cc Extra or Edge so Mike can hear where I am:) Dear Santa..., ... and a 100cc ~ 120cc DA twin...

Last edited by a moderator:

Feral

No good man:( I'm loving mine the best thing about it is everything leads into a harrier 16 more flights on it over the weekend it's time to start tinkering with the rates a bit

Good deal, this plane does indeed do nice harriers and rolling harriers. My harrier landing was effectively a dead stick, as I shut the motor off after hearing excessive vibration from the broken prop. Now that the "new" is worn off I'll be pushing this plane a lot harder:) I've only been flying ARFs' for a couple of years now, but use to stick build all my planes back in the late 80s' / early 90s'. This one is easily repairable and will be back in the air before long.

Damage assessment; 70 Extra 300 EXP:

Broken prop
Shattered canopy
Fuselage top-right area broken out between F1/F2
Turtle deck sheeting damage plus detached latch
1 of 2 elevator servos locked up; gear damage (HS-5245MG)
Right stab securing tabs broken off
Right hand stab-tube mounting broken out

Mike's 119" Extra 330SC:

Broken rudder

One lightly damaged but completely detached elevator with one or two broken hinges and the rest of the hinges completely pulled out.

Broken fuselage formers and stringers on one side, at the stab's leading edge area.

Feral

Sounds like you both got off relatively unscathed. Ol mate at my field had a midair with the wind sock today there was bits of .60 pilatus pc9 scattered across the field the wind sock won