• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 60" Laser Build Thread

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well I liked the way it looks this morning so I glued it and and called it done. I like the effect of the manila dash as it is comes out away from the canopy giving it a nice 3 dimensional effect. I did use some welders under the card stock but used some tape to hold it in place during gluing. Pressed the top of the printed dash top against the card stock from the inside to remove any gaps and placed a bead of welders around that.

Attachments

• DSC_b002.JPG
    DSC_b002.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC_b003.JPG
    DSC_b003.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_b004.JPG
    DSC_b004.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC_b004.JPG
    DSC_b004.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 338
Last edited by a moderator:
If you do not seal your gaps there is no time like the present and make this a part of every build. I do this a little different than some and I not only find it easier it is so cheep. In the past I have used Blenderm tape, Monocote and Ultracoat but I am telling you clear packing tape is the way to go. It is so clear it makes no difference with whatever coloring scheme you use. Something else I found is you do not have to do it all in one piece. I cut the tape in about 8" or so length which is so much easier to handle. I am using 2" wide here. Lay the wing on the table letting the aileron fall. I place the tape on the aileron trying not to let it touch the wing. Press in on your finger to get it sealed right down into the gap then allow it to touch the wing and rub it down. Take an Xacto knife and with ever the slightest pressure slide the blade to cut the tape. I so it about 1/16" down from the top of the wing. The pressure I use is only enough to score the tape not cut it and peal it back and off. I use the remaining cut off for the next strip and I overlap it 1/4" or less. Do this to finish the full gap and I take a plastic pen cap and rub it down to help work out any line. It is totally invisible and I have never developed a tear. I do this on the bottom surfaces.
Yes the slide on the right is finished so you can see how clear it is.

Used this method to seal my hinges and they look great. I used Heavy Duty Tape, and I found it to be difficult to get it right into the corner of the joint. I taped the aileron from the trailing edge to the top surface of the wing, to keep the hinge deflected off the edge of the table while I worked.

Tim H.

50cc
GYRO;64651 Is that the one Ray came up with?[/QUOTE said:
Actually... It's the one I came up with for Ray. :):)

I did one for my beast that he saw and we tweaked the file before I got my Laser.

I'm editing some video from yesterday with the Cortex. VERY fun! I'll post a link when it's done uploading.

Last edited by a moderator: