• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 104 Extra

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
Maidened mine last Sunday and it was running hot, 340 according to telemetry, back of cyclinder, 260 with ir gun when I landed.
photo 5.JPG

Motor is brand new DA120, 27x11 falcon prop, motor ran great in my opinion, stock needles

Previous owner, cut the cowl and made a huge opening to fit over his mufflers, it is basically open from the jtec compacts all the way back, because of this I closed off the tunnel opening, I have the Hoffman baffles.

Maybe the bottom of the cowl opening is too big and air is just dumping straight down?

Maybe 340 at the back of the jug is OK?

Maybe I'm lean, didn't seem like it?

Ole

3dbandit

100cc
Maidened mine last Sunday and it was running hot, 340 according to telemetry, back of cyclinder, 260 with ir gun when I landed.
View attachment 28796

Motor is brand new DA120, 27x11 falcon prop, motor ran great in my opinion, stock needles

Previous owner, cut the cowl and made a huge opening to fit over his mufflers, it is basically open from the jtec compacts all the way back, because of this I closed off the tunnel opening, I have the Hoffman baffles.

Maybe the bottom of the cowl opening is too big and air is just dumping straight down?

Ole

I wonder if your telemetry may not be working right.

I've never had luck with temp telemetry. My last unit always read 20-25%higher than true temperature.

AKfreak

150cc
View attachment 28796

Ole
That is a beautiful plane, do you fly with the cortex in that one? When you set up that motor what sort of tuning did you do! It will run good lean, but will be hot. Also motors breaking in will run a little hotter. Just curious about the setup, and the tune you put on the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
didn't tune it, factory settings.
no cortex yet, want to get a least 20 flights before I try it, it flys so stable as is, I probably will not use it.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I thought if they were lean they wouldn't transition well when cold?

I pull the spark plug and it was light tan.

Light tan is good for broken in (IMHO). New engines will be warmer than normal as they break in, so a little extra oil will not hurt. I'd richen it an 1/10 of a turn on the top end, and maybe a flat head blade with on the low end.

Looks great, congrats on the big bird!

amstd7

70cc twin V2
In mounting the DA 120 on the EF 104" Extra 300, I wanted to check to see if the carbon fiber spinner back plate was clearing the engine cowel, on one side of the back plate it is touching.
So I put 1/8" spacers on top of the 1"stand offs to set the engine out for clearance. Looks a little awkward, but does clear the cowel. Is this ok to do this?

vegasking

70cc twin V2
If it is touching around the openings for the air inlets on one side, I took a heat gun and warmed the cowling a little bit and bent it in a little bit to clear the prop or spinner.