• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Epoxy...favorite mixing cups?

tylerzx9r

100cc
You guys that are weighing the epoxy, great idea because it's more accurate, need to know... That only works if you know the mass comparison to the formula. Example a 1:1 formula would require each epoxy to weigh the same mass 20g to 20g. If one weighs less, your not truly getting a true mix.

Mikeq

150cc
You guys that are weighing the epoxy, great idea because it's more accurate, need to know... That only works if you know the mass comparison to the formula. Example a 1:1 formula would require each epoxy to weigh the same mass 20g to 20g. If one weighs less, your not truly getting a true mix.
+1...volume and weight may not coincide...

Alky6

150cc
You are absolutely correct. Close enough for the 5-30 minute epoxies, IMHO. With BSI, there is about an 8% difference in density. Epoxy being the heavier. Easy to compensate, but I don't think I could mix by volume in small batches to be any closer. 1:1 on volume, add 10% to the hardener to compensate by weight.

Correction: add 10% to the epoxy by weight. Not as noted above. If you are so inclined.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Very old school for me. No measuring devices. No cups. No incremental lines for correct mixtures. I have been relying on good ole' judgement. I have my very special epoxy board. Been using the same board for over two years now. Very easy to see the correct size of both amounts of hardener and epoxy. I get too apprehensive when mixing in a small cup. "Crap, did I put enough hardener?"

Mikeq

150cc
Very old school for me. No measuring devices. No cups. No incremental lines for correct mixtures. I have been relying on good ole' judgement. I have my very special epoxy board. Been using the same board for over two years now. Very easy to see the correct size of both amounts of hardener and epoxy. I get too apprehensive when mixing in a small cup. "Crap, did I put enough hardener?"
Damn right Rob...we don't need a measuring cup or scales....we know when to add and when to stop.... it's right every time.
chef.gif

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
T-88 is 1:1 by volume and 100:83 by weight
hmm, i messed that up, didn't i. i haven't used t-88 in a while but i was using a triple beam balance scale at the time.....that's what's nice about West System actually, the pumps meter it out in perfect quantities but it's expensive and you waste a lot when working on small parts.
most small 5 or 30 min batches i do by eye.
now i'm thinking how i used to mix t-88 when i was using it. i know i had the scale but maybe i did it by the weight ratio you quoted??

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I find the scale most helpful with really small batches that are all to common with RC projects. Like 2 or 3 grams.

thepamster

70cc twin V2
I use those epoxy cups mostly for mixing oil with my gas. Measure the correct amount of oil for my gas then chuck it. I only use those cups for epoxy when I need a lot for slow cure and always seem to mix too much.
Most of the time I mix epoxy on a blank piece of paper and use kabob skewers for mixing sticks.