• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE 35 RA Mods- Reed Valve, Bowman Ring, Single Post prop adapter

afrye1

30cc
Hey guys, i have a question, my dle 35ra throttle response seems sluggish when plane is flying, especially when i idle down, one other thing, i feel like my servo arm may be to long for the throttle. When i throttle up to around quarter throttle, its pretty much at full wide open, i really don't have a smooth transition from idle to wide open, i do have my endpoints set. Any ideas

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys, i have a question, my dle 35ra throttle response seems sluggish when plane is flying, especially when i idle down, one other thing, i feel like my servo arm may be to long for the throttle. When i throttle up to around quarter throttle, its pretty much at full wide open, i really don't have a smooth transition from idle to wide open, i do have my endpoints set. Any ideas

Thanks

Got a pic of your throttle servo setup? Any curves set in the radio?

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Quick update after a season on the EF 78 Extra the DLE piped 35RA is doing great! Very reliable, stone cold starts are 2-3 flips with choke, 3-4 without and we're off! Was running a Falcon 20x7 for all around (IMAC, 3D and XA) post break in. Just changed to a Xion 20x8 CF. One flight (a bit rushed in 20+ mph wind) so not too much data. Static runup dropped about 6-700 rpm (7800 +/-). Pull and low end more manageable, no trouble on the top end! Most IMAC maneuvering at 60-75%. Did a couple hovers that seemed easier with a little more "lag" and pullout was not ballistic but very good. It will take a few more flights and some throttle curve tweaking but so far I'm pleased (only 12 min flight).

3dNater

The spark plug you want is the ngk cm-6. I have had good luck finding them at both autozone and oreilly's.

Im not sure the best way to get in touch with Frank Bowman.

3dNater

Fellas I just went through replacing the bearings in this engine after sustaining a straight-in nose down crash a few weeks back. My motor had been running a little rough on the low end for a while and finally gave me a dead stick when I was vulnerable (nose up about 30 ft high). You know the rest of how that goes...

Anyway, while I had the motor apart I decided to put in a bowman ring.

If you read earlier on this thread I kept posting comments about how great the engine was right out of the box. I still stand by that, ...but... I now recommend changing to a bowman ring from the beginning.

The ring change was easily accomplished using just my fingers (wish I could say that about the bearings!). It cost about $19 shipped and doing business with Frank is such a pleasure. He is so nice and gets it shipped out to you really quick.

I ran the motor again for the first time this afternoon. The total list of new items and procedures included:

front and rear bearings.

New prop drive.

Replaced ring

Inspected read block (I couldn't see any issues so I left it alone)

New gaskets all around

Added gasket forming goo between the two halves of the crank case.

New ngk plug as the last one was pretty black.

New exhaust stacks (the stock Teflon ones)

Falcon 19x8 prop (I was running xoar previously).

All of these items except the ring and the plug came from tower for a total of about $37 shipped including some things I didn't end up needing. I thought that was a swinging deal based on the severity of the crash.

Starting the engine was easier... about half the previous required flips to prime, as well as about half the flips to start after prime.

Throttle response has a tangible improvement.

Idle is improved (it was already really good with the stock ring)

Power has a tangible improvement. Uplines were way better!

Keep in mind, this is the first run on the new ring. It should get better from here as it breaks in!

So... if you want to take this motor from good to great, replace the stock ring with a bowman ring!

dth7

Fellas I just went through replacing the bearings in this engine after sustaining a straight-in nose down crash a few weeks back. My motor had been running a little rough on the low end for a while and finally gave me a dead stick when I was vulnerable (nose up about 30 ft high). You know the rest of how that goes...

Anyway, while I had the motor apart I decided to put in a bowman ring.

If you read earlier on this thread I kept posting comments about how great the engine was right out of the box. I still stand by that, ...but... I now recommend changing to a bowman ring from the beginning.

The ring change was easily accomplished using just my fingers (wish I could say that about the bearings!). It cost about $19 shipped and doing business with Frank is such a pleasure. He is so nice and gets it shipped out to you really quick.

I ran the motor again for the first time this afternoon. The total list of new items and procedures included:

front and rear bearings.

New prop drive.

Replaced ring

Inspected read block (I couldn't see any issues so I left it alone)

New gaskets all around

Added gasket forming goo between the two halves of the crank case.

New ngk plug as the last one was pretty black.

New exhaust stacks (the stock Teflon ones)

Falcon 19x8 prop (I was running xoar previously).

All of these items except the ring and the plug came from tower for a total of about $37 shipped including some things I didn't end up needing. I thought that was a swinging deal based on the severity of the crash.

Starting the engine was easier... about half the previous required flips to prime, as well as about half the flips to start after prime.

Throttle response has a tangible improvement.

Idle is improved (it was already really good with the stock ring)

Power has a tangible improvement. Uplines were way better!

Keep in mind, this is the first run on the new ring. It should get better from here as it breaks in!

So... if you want to take this motor from good to great, replace the stock ring with a bowman ring!

!