• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE 35 RA Mods- Reed Valve, Bowman Ring, Single Post prop adapter

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
DLE choke pushrod issues. I've gone through two pushrods so far? First was 2-56 rod threaded at one end with a ball link at the choke arm. It was long- all the way to front of cowl with a little loop to grab. After about 2 gals it sheared at the guide built into the engine block. Next I used the same size rod (can't get any bigger through guide and doesn't look like there is enough room to drill it out more without compromising the case). I made it shorter with an L bend only. That one sheared after only several flights. I just put on a "hybrid". From choke arm going forward- ball link, threaded piece of 2-56, short piece of golden rod CAed and heat shrinked to a small CF rod. Through guide to another piece of golden rod to grab. It seems to function ok but I don't know how it will hold up to the vibration and the friction I working in and out of cast guide. Next (hopefully not but confidence is not high!) will be a home made guide mounted to one of the mounting bolts at the standoff lined with tubing for dampening.
Any other thoughts. It's possible to reach into the cowl from underneath but I don't want to do that all the time.
Thanks.

So far (about 6 flights) the CF choke rod setup is working fine. Fingers crossed. Dual batts with wolverine is great!
Update- CF choke rod holding up great. Don't want to jinx it! Have a "sprained" CF landing gear. It's working but definitely hurtin on one side. Waiting on graph tech hvy dty cf gear. New wheels will go on it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

miketek

30cc
Any of you guys are using a canister on the DLE 35-RA ? I know the stock muffler on those small DLE engine is not really efficient ( my DLE 20 is really loud !!! ) and i wanna try to keep the noise level down a bit.
Any recommendation ? Any issues you guys are aware of ?

dth7

Any of you guys are using a canister on the DLE 35-RA ? I know the stock muffler on those small DLE engine is not really efficient ( my DLE 20 is really loud !!! ) and i wanna try to keep the noise level down a bit.
Any recommendation ? Any issues you guys are aware of ?

Don't know of any cans but the pipe is really nice and quiet.

dth7

Which pipe are you talking about ?

ES 30 CF tuned pipe with a Falcon 20x7 CF prop. Running about 8400rpm. Going to try a 20x8 CF from Redwing. Real nice performance and quieter than stock muffler which I broke it in on. Did reed valve mod (sanding block flat) and added Bowman ring all prior to first start. Engine has been close to flawless with easy starts- 1-3 flips in choke, 1-3 without and I'm off!

miketek

30cc
ES 30 CF tuned pipe with a Falcon 20x7 CF prop. Running about 8400rpm. Going to try a 20x8 CF from Redwing. Real nice performance and quieter than stock muffler which I broke it in on. Did reed valve mod (sanding block flat) and added Bowman ring all prior to first start. Engine has been close to flawless with easy starts- 1-3 flips in choke, 1-3 without and I'm off!
Wow !!!! That's a DLE 35 on steroïds !!!!!
Should get my 35RA soon....gonna do the reed block mod and will have a Bowman ring too......not sure i'm gonna spend 200$+ on a CF pipe though.....i might just stick with a canister ! ;)

dth7

Wow !!!! That's a DLE 35 on steroïds !!!!!
Should get my 35RA soon....gonna do the reed block mod and will have a Bowman ring too......not sure i'm gonna spend 200$+ on a CF pipe though.....i might just stick with a canister ! ;)

I'm sure it will be fine. I had good power stock on the EF 78 extra. Now it's really good power!

miketek

30cc
Any specific reason you went with the ES 30 ??? ES Composite's website suggests the ES 40 for 35cc engines....

dth7

Any specific reason you went with the ES 30 ??? ES Composite's website suggests the ES 40 for 35cc engines....

GHoffman sold me the plane and he had the 30 and 40. The 35 has been added I believe to replace the 30 or both. I'd try that. I didn't have the choice and the 30 fit. It was about as technical as that.