• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE-30 Dies When Inverted

My engine problem is fixed. I bought a new carburetor and installed it last week. I tuned it up a bit in my driveway. Then I went to the field this morning and flew eight 10 minute flights, much of it inverted, without a hiccup.

The experienced guys at my club wanted to take apart the old carb to see what was causing the problem. I just wanted to fly. ;)

I'd like to thank everyone that offered their experience and advice to help solve this problem. If you're thinking, "Why the hell didn't that guy replace the carb a month ago?", all I can say is that I agree with you!

Marc

gyro

GSN Contributor
My engine problem is fixed. I bought a new carburetor and installed it last week. I tuned it up a bit in my driveway. Then I went to the field this morning and flew eight 10 minute flights, much of it inverted, without a hiccup.

The experienced guys at my club wanted to take apart the old carb to see what was causing the problem. I just wanted to fly. ;)

I'd like to thank everyone that offered their experience and advice to help solve this problem. If you're thinking, "Why the hell didn't that guy replace the carb a month ago?", all I can say is that I agree with you!

Marc

Outstanding!!!!! Glad you're flying happily again!

I wanted to close the loop on this and post some photos of the original carburetor dis-assembly I did today with one of our more experienced club members. It wasn't nearly as intimidating as I had feared. But the bottom line is that we found no smoking gun as the cause for the engine dying when the plane was inverted.

One thing we did find was that the fuel inlet barbed fitting was very loose. I could easily pull it out of the carb body with my fingers. Pat flared the end a few thousands of an inch and pressed the fitting back into the carb body.

Pat also had some concern about how the metering lever should fit and if it maybe needed a tweak. But I was not able to find any reference material on that so it is still a question.

You can take a look at the photos below if you want. Also, there is a gentleman named Carey Shurley who is highly respected in the RC helicopter world for his use of gas motors. He did a fantastic write-up of a Walbro carb that you can view here:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=326599

And finally, a lesson I learned the hard way, in Carey Shurley's own words:
" I typically keep a spare carb around and when something goes wrong I swap out the old carb. If the problem goes away I throw away the old carb and just get another spare." This carb is going in the trash. :)

Thanks,
Marc

0 components.jpg
Major components

1 pump side.jpg
Pump side

2 regulator side 2.jpg
Regulator side

2 regulator side 3.jpg
There is still some question if the lever may need some tweaking.

3 needle-lever-spring.jpg
Inlet needle, lever and spring.

4 adjustment needles.jpg
High and low speed needles.

I also had the 30 size DLE Every time inverted it stalled. Called Valley View they said it needed a stack. If it needs a stack to run right it should come with it. I sold it off as undependable. Purchased a new 55 DLE it ate the wrist pin bushing in 15 flights Repair service at Valley View was excellent but 2 bad engines in a row? Now you hear about changing rings, modifying reed box ect. What's wrong with this picture. I have DA engines that are 10 years old never miss a beat. I like everybody else look to save money but if you cannot depend on an engine you cannot fly the plane the way you want. You have to have total confidence in the engine My opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
... I like everybody else look to save money but if you cannot depend on an engine you cannot fly the plane the way you want. You have to have total confidence in the engine My opinion

I agree. But for what it's worth, I've put 7 gallons through my DLE 30 since I replaced the carb and it hasn't died once. I have confidence to fly it low and inverted now.

Marc

I have the 35. What carb would you recommend.

I'm having inverted dead sticks.

My answer is not going to be very satisfying to you, but I just put on a stock replacement carb. I never did find out what was wrong with the original carb.

After trying to follow a lot of advice on "correct tuning" that still resulted in dead sticks, I decided I would spend $35 for a new stock replacement carb before I bought a new OS GT33. The replacement carb fixed my problem. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Marc

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Mine has been great on the stock carb... I'm sad to see some of the stock carbs needing to be replaced :(