• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE-30 Dies When Inverted

DLE-30 Dies When Inverted *FIXED*

Edit: The problem was fixed with a new carb. See post #51. Thanks.

Hey Guys.

My DLE-30 dies when inverted. I'm hoping someone might see something that is causing my problem.

The Facts:
-This is my first gasser. I bought the DLE-30 new a couple months ago.
-I've put about 3/4 of a gallon through the engine. I'm using Redline synthetic mixed at 32:1

The Good:
-It starts very easily and idles nicely. It has fine transition to full throttle.
-I can do loops, rolls, snap rolls and upright harriers just fine. Upright, the DLE does everything I ask it to.

The Bad:
-When I roll inverted, the engine dies. Sometimes it dies within 5 seconds. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more to die. Occasionally I can get more than a minute of inverted figure 8s, but it eventually dies.
-This has happened since the engine was new.
-Today I tried a bunch of different things, took off, rolled inverted, and waited. I had to do about 6 dead stick landings. :(

What I've tried:
-Before I started the engine the first time I did the reed block sanding modification.
-I've re-plumbed the gas tank 3 times. I'm using a 3 line tank and I'm quite confident that the Walbro felt clunk is moving freely.
-I recently did the carb equalization mod using the film canister.
-I've tried various high speed needle valve settings including running rich enough to have quite a bit of burbling at high speed upright level flight.

What has worked:
-Today, at the suggestion of one of my club-mates, I inverted the fuel tank in the plane. I actually got more than a minute of inverted fight. I pushed out of inverted in a half outside loop to upright and the engine died at the top.
-My club-mate is convinced that proves it's something in the tank, but I'm not convinced.

What I'm going to try:
-The only thing I can think to change right now is the gas tank. I bought a Fiji water bottle and I'm planning to build a tank using a PSP cap.

What I've researched:
-I've read a dozen or so posts on various forums about others that have this issue. The general consensus there seems to be to do the carb equalization mod and to richen the high speed needle valve.

I'm hoping to get this issue resolved because I like the ease, flight time, and noise of the gas engine. But I like to fly inverted for long periods so I need to resolve this or find another power plant.

Please have a look at some of my photos and let me know if you see anything wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

carb equalization 1.jpg
This is the fitting I soldered on for the carb equalization

carb equalization 2.jpg
This is the film canister on the other end of the carb equalization line

tank mounted.jpg
This is the tank as mounted in the plane

tank inlet.jpg
These are the tank inlet lines

stopper.jpg
This is a closeup of the stopper

clunks.jpg
This is a closeup of the clunks (pickup and fill/drain)

tank parts.jpg
This is the tank with internal plumbing removed

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've heard many people talk about that problem with DLE30, but never had it with mine.

Would think two things would be helpful:

1- get a new carb. [MENTION=327]ValleyViewRC[/MENTION] stocks them for a very reasonable price.

2- get a different tank. I've never been a fan of those dubro tanks, I personally prefer [MENTION=2715]WrongWayRc[/MENTION] tanks, but many have had success with Fourtitude as well.

Get rid of that funny carb equalization apparatus thing. Shouldn't be needed, and it just complicates things and adds unnecessary weight.

Get rid of that funny carb equalization apparatus thing. Shouldn't be needed, and it just complicates things and adds unnecessary weight.

:D I thought that carb equalization thing was funny too. But I'd be willing to wear a clown nose if I thought it would allow me to fly inverted.

I've got a call into Troy-Built to see if there is anything they can do for me under warranty.

Thanks,
Marc

gyro

GSN Contributor
:D I thought that carb equalization thing was funny too. But I'd be willing to wear a clown nose if I thought it would allow me to fly inverted.

I've got a call into Troy-Built to see if there is anything they can do for me under warranty.

Thanks,
Marc

I would hope so... They've been good with warranty stuff before with me.

I went through 5 new del 30 and they all died when at low rpm and if I was inverted and would flip back to up right position. I finally gave up on the dle30

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I went through 5 new del 30 and they all died when at low rpm and if I was inverted and would flip back to up right position. I finally gave up on the dle30

Sorry you had such bad luck!! That really stinks...
This is my DLE 30 last weekend, she's stock except a bowman ring and reed block sanding before first run.
[video=youtube_share;B2Mr1o2CopE]http://youtu.be/B2Mr1o2CopE[/video]

Another guy suggested I get rid of the three line tank and go with two lines and a tee (like everyone else in my club). He thought maybe the fill clunk was getting in the way of the pickup clunk. He also suggested getting rid of the felt clunk and going with a regular clunk. I went with the three line tank and the felt clunk based on other people's suggestions though. :rolleyes: So it may be more trial and error.

I'm just hoping I get it fixed before my luck runs out with dead stick landings! So far no damage to the plane after about a dozen dead sticks over the last few weekends. I keep managing to hit the runway (wheel side down) :)

Marc

gyro

GSN Contributor
I saw that video in the Aerobeez thread. Want to trade straight across? I'll pay for shipping! ;)

Marc

Nope! :) although I broke a prop bolt last night, so she's down for a little while waiting on a new hub.

I just bought another DLE30 from RC FEEN, and his has a baffle on the carb to keep it from dying inverted... I'm not sure if I'll keep it, or throw my spare carb on it.

I just bought another DLE30 from RC FEEN, and his has a baffle on the carb to keep it from dying inverted... I'm not sure if I'll keep it, or throw my spare carb on it.

Is that baffle you're talking about the one that mounts in front of the diaphragm pump plate to help equalize the atmospheric pressure? If so, that goofy fitting I have on my carb pump plate is supposed to fix the same problem.

Marc