• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE-30 Dies When Inverted

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Gotcha. I'm curious to see what I come up with when I switch octanes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

Marc

Well, I'm not sure but I believe the problem has been solved.
It idled great and top end was fine (7300 rpm with a 19x8 Zoar) but the mid range was acting goofy. At about 30% throttle it would surge and run inconsistently no matter what needle settings I tried - both on the ground and in the air. The motor ran as well inverted as it did upright but that wasn't saying much.

On the last flight of the day the problem revealed itself, I was inverted and lost control of the throttle?! Thank goodness for Opti kill or else I'd still be putting around the sky waiting for the fuel to run out.

I removed the throttle servo (HS 225B) and tried it on the bench - dead as a door nail. I think the erratic motor behavior in mid range could be the result of the throttle servo twitching and operating inconsistently.

I've ordered a Savox 0220 to replace it, the saga continues....

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow. What kind of linkage and servo arm are you using?

I was using a blue metal arm and a ball link on the servo end and a DuBro HD 4-40 snap link on the carb.

I intend on using ball links on both ends when I install the new servo.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Maybe instead of the metal arm, use a fiber/plastic arm to help absorb the vibration as well.

If an engine goes lean or rich in positions corresponding to the direction of the diaphragm plate in relation to the ground the pop off pressure is likely low and the fix is a stronger or longer spring.

When the plate faces away from the ground the engine runs rich and towards the ground lean. This is amplified by G forces. On the DLE 30 that would be lean inverted and rich upright. On a DA 35 it would be right rudder knife edge rich, left rudder lean.

Gravity/Gforces act on the diaphragm and a spring that is too weak doesn't counteract gravity as well and this creates a large tuning differential between the plate facing up and facing the ground.

Had the same problem on my OS 33 and the fix was lengthening the spring.

I have been doing gassers for 15 years and never had a problems like my dle 35ra. Not priming, not running with repeatability, etc, I'm quite aware of how carbs work. These problems were on the ground not regulator problems in the air. REDWING rc carries walbro replacement carbs for dle......WOW what a difference!

StukaJU87G

New to GSN!
I have been doing gassers for 15 years and never had a problems like my dle 35ra. Not priming, not running with repeatability, etc, I'm quite aware of how carbs work. These problems were on the ground not regulator problems in the air. REDWING rc carries walbro replacement carbs for dle......WOW what a difference!
I also had a DLE 35RA that NEVER ran right. I new carb from Tower Hobbies did the trick. $40.00 for a carb. Now I have a Mintor 28 that is giving me fits..... I have overhauled the carb, still no good. I think I will just buy a new one for it too.