• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro 2.5M Raven Build

Wacobipe

100cc
Put some padding on the floor and stand the fuse on its tail. Strap it against something, like a basement post, fridge, etc. Once secured you can carefully sit the engine on its mount and slide it around so you get you spinner centered on the cowl ring. Slide your spinner backplate on to check it. Then mark it, triple check and drill.
Good pointers @Pistolera

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Made my own centering tool from a white rose product already available, mocks up the engine very well, but you have alot of other factors with yours for its use I believe, carb cut out etc.
alignmentkit_hdmount_firewallplate300_000.jpeg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
If I can't mount direct to firewall, then I will be using plywood spacers...not stand offs. The 85 is one big cylinder of pure torque so I think it needs all the support it can get!
Agreed, I've seen one vibrate 2 bolts completely out, one most of the way out and the last one loose. It was being flown by my long time flying buddy and I was standing right next to him when it started making odd noises when maneuvering hard. We both thought the header had broken again, but after it kept getting worse I told him he should land. When he taxied in and killed the engine I thought it was going to jump out. Now the bolts go through the motor into blind nuts in the firewall and have lock nuts on them, not just blue Loctite.

JTec sells the plywood mounts, and PAU had them awhile back as well.

Wacobipe

100cc
Working on firewall installation....and it's coming along more easily than I thought! Basically, the fuselage has a flat surface that is the identical diameter to the spinner provided with the plane...and that surface includes the right thrust angle required already built in so that the spinner will meet the front of the fuse perfectly.

So I've taken that flat, round surface as my datum (reference surface) and will build backwards to get the firewall placed in the fuselage. I placed 1/8" spacers between the spinner backplate and the fuse, and then taped the backplate in place aligned to the fuse, with the engine hanging off the spinner backplate inside the aircraft.

First step was to drill the hole for carb clearance...this aligned perfectly with the small; pilot provided in the firewall..building confidence that I was doing right...

Once that clearance hole was in I was able to move the firewall into position...while there is no reference for where the firewall fits, there is a logical place where it snugly mates to the entire surrounding fuselage sides...so that is where it will be...and will require 1/2" of spacers between the fuse and firewall...working on those next!

Firewall Position (1).JPG Firewall Position (2).JPG Firewall Position (3).JPG Firewall Position (4).JPG Firewall Position (5).JPG Firewall Position (6).JPG Firewall Position (7).JPG Firewall Position (8).JPG Firewall Position (9).JPG

Wacobipe

100cc
This is one of my favorite tools in my shop. It is a handheld Porter Cable oscillating drum sander that I have mounted to a plate that allows it to fit my router table...works fantastically well!

Sanding (1).JPGSanding (2).JPG Sanding (3).JPG Sanding (4).JPG

Last edited:

Jlc

70cc twin V2
Working on firewall installation....and it's coming along more easily than I thought! Basically, the fuselage has a flat surface that is the identical diameter to the spinner provided with the plane...and that surface includes the right thrust angle required already built in so that the spinner will meet the front of the fuse perfectly.

So I've taken that flat, round surface as my datum (reference surface) and will build backwards to get the firewall placed in the fuselage. I placed 1/8" spacers between the spinner backplate and the fuse, and then taped the backplate in place aligned to the fuse, with the engine hanging off the spinner backplate inside the aircraft.

First step was to drill the hole for carb clearance...this aligned perfectly with the small; pilot provided in the firewall..building confidence that I was doing right...

Once that clearance hole was in I was able to move the firewall into position...while there is no reference for where the firewall fits, there is a logical place where it snugly mates to the entire surrounding fuselage sides...so that is where it will be...and will require 1/2" of spacers between the fuse and firewall...working on those next!

View attachment 10022 View attachment 10023 View attachment 10024 View attachment 10025 View attachment 10026 View attachment 10027 View attachment 10028 View attachment 10029 View attachment 10030
Looking good! What are the 1/2" spacers for that you are building?

Wacobipe

100cc
Sorry Jlc...reading what I wrote I didn't make much sense...the 1/2 inch spacer is between the ENGINE and firewall...not the fuse and firewall o_O.

Where the firewall fits (finds its natural resting place, there is 1/2 inch still between the rear of the engine and the firewall. Instead of using standoffs or doing lots of sanding to move the firewall forward I will use solid ply spacers to fill in that space...I think it will give me a bit more space to get the engine in/out also.

Jlc

70cc twin V2
Sorry Jlc...reading what I wrote I didn't make much sense...the 1/2 inch spacer is between the ENGINE and firewall...not the fuse and firewall o_O.

Where the firewall fits (finds its natural resting place, there is 1/2 inch still between the rear of the engine and the firewall. Instead of using standoffs or doing lots of sanding to move the firewall forward I will use solid ply spacers to fill in that space...I think it will give me a bit more space to get the engine in/out also.
Makes sense now. Glad the firewall fit so good.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

View attachment 10022 View attachment 10023 View attachment 10024 View attachment 10025 View attachment 10026 View attachment 10027 View attachment 10028 View attachment 10029 View attachment 10030
Nicely done.... :way_to_go: