• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Covering Contest/Pilot 40% 122" Extra 330SC

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I wished I could do curves like that! I have done some (definitely not on a fuse), but wound up tossing them because they looked horrible :oblong:

That looks like some very professional work.
I make a paper template of the wing and/or fuse, then draw the design on the paper, then cut the pieces of covering and put them together as much as possible, then apply them to the airframe. Wing's are the easiest being most leading and trailing edges can have a joint. Fuses are a little trickier but using the paper and cutting it to fit closely does work, sometimes it takes using strips of 1 or 2 inches to get a good wrapped template. These methods are easier for me than putting the pieces together on the airframe.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I make a paper template of the wing and/or fuse, then draw the design on the paper, then cut the pieces of covering and put them together as much as possible, then apply them to the airframe. Wing's are the easiest being most leading and trailing edges can have a joint. Fuses are a little trickier but using the paper and cutting it to fit closely does work, sometimes it takes using strips of 1 or 2 inches to get a good wrapped template. These methods are easier for me than putting the pieces together on the airframe.
Like the paper template idea have to remember that one that will come in handy some time. Thanks.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Fellas,
It's been a while since I've been around GSN so I just want to wish all of my brothers a belated Happy New Year.

Rob, I think your little contest was a COMPLETE success WRT bringing us all a little closer together. I have just caught up on this thread and you had a monumental task in selecting a scheme out of ALL of the awesome choices. Of course, I would like to express my thanks to @pawnshopmike for the prize and a big KUDO's goes out to @Luchnia for paying it forward. It's folks like you who make this hobby so AWESOME.

Kelly brought up the name Faye Stilley earlier in this thread. He has written a couple of books on covering with Monocote that are well worth the price. One tip I remember reading was on how to get two pieces of covering to be mirror images. He said after you have your pattern cut, lay down two pieces of covering (one face up and the other face down so the finished sides are in contact with each other) on a hard flat surface. I think he also said to remove the backing from the covering so you only had to cut through two layers. Then put your pattern over the two pieces and cut them both at the same time. I also think he used a piece of thick glass as a cutting board. Of course, you need to use a VERY sharp knife. This little tip I typed this from memory so I may not be 100% accurate in my description since it has been many years since I have read the books, but you would be able to get the idea.

I am really looking forward to watching you apply your magic to covering the big Extra. I am sure it will turn out fantastic. . . . :yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Fellas,
It's been a while since I've been around GSN so I just want to wish all of my brothers a belated Happy New Year.

Rob, I think your little contest was a COMPLETE success WRT bringing us all a little closer together. I have just caught up on this thread and you had a monumental task in selecting a scheme out of ALL of the awesome choices. Of course, I would like to express my thanks to @pawnshopmike for the prize and a big KUDO's goes out to @Luchnia for paying it forward. It's folks like you who make this hobby so AWESOME.

Kelly brought up the name Faye Stilley earlier in this thread. He has written a couple of books on covering with Monocote that are well worth the price. One tip I remember reading was on how to get two pieces of covering to be mirror images. He said after you have your pattern cut, lay down two pieces of covering (one face up and the other face down so the finished sides are in contact with each other) on a hard flat surface. I think he also said to remove the backing from the covering so you only had to cut through two layers. Then put your pattern over the two pieces and cut them both at the same time. I also think he used a piece of thick glass as a cutting board. Of course, you need to use a VERY sharp knife. This little tip I typed this from memory so I may not be 100% accurate in my description since it has been many years since I have read the books, but you would be able to get the idea.

I am really looking forward to watching you apply your magic to covering the big Extra. I am sure it will turn out fantastic. . . . :yesss:

Thank you David. I'm sure going to give it my all. Wishing you the brightest and most prosperous of New Years.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
That is a very challenging scheme, since the plane is actually an MXS I designed an MXS with that scheme. 125.5", ZDZ180 this was about a month after maiden, Colton Clark at the sticks:
machine-gun-facebook-like.png