• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Covering Contest/Pilot 40% 122" Extra 330SC

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Fellas,
It's been a while since I've been around GSN so I just want to wish all of my brothers a belated Happy New Year.

Rob, I think your little contest was a COMPLETE success WRT bringing us all a little closer together. I have just caught up on this thread and you had a monumental task in selecting a scheme out of ALL of the awesome choices. Of course, I would like to express my thanks to @pawnshopmike for the prize and a big KUDO's goes out to @Luchnia for paying it forward. It's folks like you who make this hobby so AWESOME.

Kelly brought up the name Faye Stilley earlier in this thread. He has written a couple of books on covering with Monocote that are well worth the price. One tip I remember reading was on how to get two pieces of covering to be mirror images. He said after you have your pattern cut, lay down two pieces of covering (one face up and the other face down so the finished sides are in contact with each other) on a hard flat surface. I think he also said to remove the backing from the covering so you only had to cut through two layers. Then put your pattern over the two pieces and cut them both at the same time. I also think he used a piece of thick glass as a cutting board. Of course, you need to use a VERY sharp knife. This little tip I typed this from memory so I may not be 100% accurate in my description since it has been many years since I have read the books, but you would be able to get the idea.

I am really looking forward to watching you apply your magic to covering the big Extra. I am sure it will turn out fantastic. . . . :yesss:

That is a very challenging scheme, since the plane is actually an MXS I designed an MXS with that scheme. 125.5", ZDZ180 this was about a month after maiden, Colton Clark at the sticks:
Boy is it nice to watch a an excellent pilot and a good plane fly. That gentleman has one of the best fingers around, thanks.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Being as I speak of using a projector occasionally I am posting a projected image. Yea, I got mine back today.
This is displayed for wing marking, one has to imagine a wing or paper is on the wall and instead of 4 feet wide full wing width. This pic is one of the lower resolution pics (137kb) just to show how well or easy it would be to get drawings off of. And, lights are on it just looks dark because image is so bright.

Attachments

• P1080660.JPG
    P1080660.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
After mentioning the projector Sunday I went and ordered a screen, it showed up today. No more lines from the siding of the patio walls on movie night and I don't have to clear a wall in the shop either. It is 10 feet wide so it should accommodate any build I will ever do.

Attachments

• P1080665.JPG
    P1080665.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 453

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
After long contemplation, I have decided to not do Brad's scheme. Oh I absolutely love the scheme there is no doubt. And again my thanks goes out to @Luchnia for locating it. I feel it was might "BIG" of him to pay it forward and share the proceeds with others. Yet another sparkling example of what this hobby should reflect.

It's not the complexity of the scheme that concerns me. After all, the wings are a walk in the park. Underside of the wings and stabs might be a bit challenging but I think I could do it. And as far as the fuse is concerned, all a guy really needs to do is "template" the design, lay it out on the covering "halved", then once the template is transferred...duplicate in mirror image for the other side. Really it should not be that difficult. The reason however I have decided against using the scheme is when I started this little quest, I wanted something unique and original. Something that not everyone had. With a duplicate in Europe and with Terry's rendition of the scheme, I don't want to re-re-reduplicate the same scheme. If there are two, there may be more. Granted, both the Europe scheme and Terry's are impeccable to say the least. Both incredibly well done and perfect spot on matches of Brad Wursten's MXS-R. But coming full circle, I really wanted something no one else has. So instead of taking a chance with another already previously done scheme, I have decided to "pen" out my own design. I can tell you all that I will for sure be attempting the bottom of the wings as originally stated. If anyone can pull of a complex and mind boggling scheme like that and make it look nice, anything else would be childs play.

I want to apologize to anyone that had their hopes set in anticipation of the scheme being done on my 330. And I do want to thank everyone..."EVERYONE" for their indulgence and participation in the covering scheme contest. I just hope everyone can understand why my decisions have been made as they have been. The 330 scheme was chosen as my final "re-cover" for awhile. In fact, the 330 will be my last HUGE plane built or covered for a long time. I just have way too many things going on lately that I am finding it very difficult to even find time to devote to my planes. So with that, I wanted to make my 330 my "Magnum-Opus", so to speak.

Everyone is still welcome to follow the Build/Covering thread exclusively here on GSN. And I wish to convey that I still look forward to everyones input, suggestions and ideas. After all, that is what this site is all about, right? Sharing....

Thanks for understanding and for all your support fellas.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
No big deal we all enjoyed going through the exercise and we all have a good collection of paint scheme to research. After all you have to be happy with your plane end of story. But you will keep us informed so that we all can keep you on the right road of success with the plane.

BalsaDust

I have a one off scheme I could share and I promise no one has ever done. But I fear I would get banned if I posted it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a one off scheme I could share and I promise no one has ever done. But I fear I would get banned if I posted it.
You cannot do things like that. Anyone who reads this is going to want to see it. Unless it just plane crude. Ok first you are going have to give us a hint.