• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool old school planes??

Tseres

150cc
@Tseres we got a few Chipmunk flyin in our club. They are made by Slipstream ( decent for the price) 30cc size, but Azhar was supposed to be bringing in a 50cc version Chipmunk.

Seen those. I'm not crazy about them. Same thing OMP sells. Not crazy about Azhar either. Had a run in with him in Wenatchee.

Taildraggerrc

70cc twin V2
Yellow Aircraft made a big Cap 10 and there is one partially built on craigslist, check in the Binghampton, NY area. 81" WS maybe?
Yup I remember the old yellow kit..
I would love to have a modernized version that would not be so "snappy" :) those old cap 10s used to be called "snap10" . I didn't have a huge issue with them but most guys here just ham fisted the sticks on them inducing the high speed snap.

reyn3545

100cc
Yup I remember the old yellow kit..
I would love to have a modernized version that would not be so "snappy" :) those old cap 10s used to be called "snap10" . I didn't have a huge issue with them but most guys here just ham fisted the sticks on them inducing the high speed snap.

Back in my glow days, I bought my 1 and only CAP 232.. my local hobby store had bought out another company's inventory and was selling them pretty cheap. I got the plane off the ground on the maiden, it was snapping around like crazy (probably took off too soon), and wound up crashing beside the road about 100 feet from me. I was so mad that I told the people with me that anyone who wanted it could have the entire thing for $100, if they went and picked it up. It sold in about 2 seconds, and I haven't had one since!
Everyone had told me how crappy that ARF was, but for the price, I thought it was worth it. Maybe I should have listened.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
OK...here's the story and some pics. Back in the '80's and early 90's I was flying my Pitts S1-T in Unlimited IAC. Did very well with it, winning the IAC Championship in '88. Best thing that ever happened to me with this wonderful plane was meeting the love of my life in '89 and now wife of 25 years (and counting).

This is our first date pic at a contest in Covington, TN that year;
Pat & Me Covington, TN 1989.jpg

Anyway, Stan Klick, a member of the Pegasus RC club in Hagerstown, MD (of which I'm a member since starting RC about 7 years ago), built several scale replicas of my Pitts. I think the first one was 1/4 scale and the next 2 were 33%. He flew them although I never did get to see one fly. Not sure what engine combo he used? At one of our local airshows Stan brought one of them for photos with my plane and I have this one in my file;
Me w Stan Click\'s Pitts.jpg I think it is the 1/4 scale version. I do know it's not the one I now have.

A couple of months ago Stan GAVE me the last remaining replica, which is a 33% model. All were scratch or plans built and this one is a wonderful example of his work. Other than the cowling being an S1-S model (S1-T's had a pressure cowl that faired into the fuse better), and the large N number on the fuse (still not certain why he elected to do that?), it is a beautiful airplane.

It had no engine or other equipment in it when I got it, so I cleaned off the dust, mocked up an dummy engine/prop combo, redid the fuselage lettering, fabbed a"Haigh" tailwheel and some aileron spades. Thank you Steve, from SMJ spinners who donated an unusable-for-flying spinner.

I have absolutely no intention of flying this plane.....it will hang in my new shop when our new home construction is completed early next year. THANK YOU STAN for your craftsmanship and generosity!!!
DSC03489 LR.jpg DSC03491 LR.jpg DSC03492 LR.jpg DSC03494 LR.jpg DSC03495 LR.jpg

BTW - when my wife first saw it after bring it home, she got all choked up.....:fist_pump:

reyn3545

100cc
Beautiful plane, and a great story. Thanks for sharing. I was going to share my favorite biplane picture, but it would be very inappropriate given your previous post.