• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool old school planes??

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
What would be your favorite old school plane to resurrect with modern construction and cheaper larger engines available?     I learned to fly with ARF's already main stream so I missed out on all the old school stuff that people talk about.      I'm looking for some ideas, particularly things that can be flown both "wild" and "mild".

What was your favorite and why?? 

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
LOVED my Astrohog (DUH!).  Although that was pre-3D, it was my first low winger.  Built it from the Sig die-crunched kit, removed the dihedral, enlarged the control surfaces and powered it with a Saito .91.  Was the first plane I had flown that actually went where you pointed it! All the FOGS at the field kept telling me that it wasn't a good 2nd plane! (low wing AND a taildragger? NO WAY!) LOL!

covered it in the Army Air Corps blue/yellow scheme so it kinda resembled a PT-19ish.  Still love the classic lines of the Hog!  Point of interest about the Astrohog; it was the winner at the 1959 (I think) Nats!!  OLD SKOOL AEROBATICS, BABY! LOL

Regards,

Astro

Tseres

150cc
Allways wanted a larger 50 to 60cc sized Goldberg Super Chipmunk.

There is a kit out there now but I don't like the way it looks. The Cowl and the Canopy don't look right. I also don't want an ultra light oversized kit and I also think the kit is to expensive. 

Maybe I'm just getting old.
icon_smile.gif

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I remember seeing an astro hog at an auction once that had been built really well and somewhat scale details added and had obviously not had much time on it.    I remember being impressed.

i flew a chipmunk for the first time a few weeks ago Tom.      Very cool 100"ish with dle55 and it was very nice.     I was thinking it would be a sweet plane for imac since it looked good doing that type of aerobatics.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Two words - Ugly Stick

Every size Stick I ever had rewarded me with great flying, even the updated Ultra Stick.

Tseres

150cc
Terryscustom said
I remember seeing an astro hog at an auction once that had been built really well and somewhat scale details added and had obviously not had much time on it.    I remember being impressed.

i flew a chipmunk for the first time a few weeks ago Tom.      Very cool 100"ish with dle55 and it was very nice.     I was thinking it would be a sweet plane for imac since it looked good doing that type of aerobatics.
Except it's a low wing. Probably require a lot of knife edge mixing. I think its better suited to be a fun plane.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Extra 230 and a Cosmic Wind. The 230 was the first gasser I ever flew, and the Cosmic Wind was my favorite airplane of all of the ones I built back in the day.
Cosmic-Wind-Small.JPG

Cosmic-Wind-Small3.JPG

Extra230Small.JPG

Extra230Small2.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Love the Cosmic Wind, looks like an RV-4 with a glassed in Astro Hog cockpit!       The 230 is pretty cool, that would be a really easy one to bring to life pretty much just need a cowl.

I'm looking to do something "different" in a 100cc size.      One thing I am pondering is an RV-8 with a slightly higher than scale wing capable of modern ARF aerobatics and still scale flight.      Here is a pic of one that I found with a short turtledeck mod. that looks kinda like an old-school RC model so that's where I started thinking about starting this thread.

RV-8-Fastback.jpg

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Isn't the classic old school aerobatic plane the Pitts?  My last several planes have been ARF's and I really want to work on a kit this winter. I am seriously looking at the Jtec 26% Pitts 12 as my first build in years. I would love the 41% version, but the extra cost for a mostly fun flier has me holding back a little. 

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Patroller said
Isn't the classic old school aerobatic plane the Pitts?  My last several planes have been ARF's and I really want to work on a kit this winter. I am seriously looking at the Jtec 26% Pitts 12 as my first build in years. I would love the 41% version, but the extra cost for a mostly fun flier has me holding back a little. 
Awesome, I hope you do a build thread!!      The S-12 is one of my favorites, but is a little over-cooked in the RC market, would be neat if someone did an older Pitts.     The Jtec kits look really good when done.