• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool old school planes??

SleepyC

150cc
Terryscustom said
I would love this plane to be 10 lbs lighter.....

cap.jpg

If we had a cowl and canopy we could build a new one at 32-36# easy.       Laser cut, foam cores.      It's the cowl and canopy that are a bastard lot of work to create.

Agree, bring the wing up slightly.....maybe not all the way to thrust line (let the radio do a little work to clean up the KE).

Talk to me Goose.

I LOVE Caps. A light 40% Cap (or even a larger than straight 35% cap for 120cc) would rock.

I bet we could buy a TON of canopies and cowls from the 33% Cap 232 GP used to sell and it easily fit a 100 in it.

Hmmmmm.
icon_biggrin.gif

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Talk to me Goose.

I LOVE Caps. A light 40% Cap (or even a larger than straight 35% cap for 120cc) would rock.

I bet we could buy a TON of canopies and cowls from the 33% Cap 232 GP used to sell and it easily fit a 100 in it.

Hmmmmm.
icon_biggrin.gif
If you can get your hands on at least two cowls and two canopies (one for me and one for you) I'll design a 105-110" Cap for a 100-120cc.      Not sure if I'd build your plane but you're ready to get back into kit building aren't you
icon_wink.gif

I asked Rick at Fibertech if he had any old dusty cowl molds in the back for a large Cap and he said no.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
A slightly redesigned Cap would be awesome. Work your magic with the wing placement and I bet it would fly amazing. Bringing the Cap back.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Terryscustom said
What would be your favorite old school plane to resurrect with modern construction and cheaper larger engines available?     I learned to fly with ARF's already main stream so I missed out on all the old school stuff that people talk about.      I'm looking for some ideas, particularly things that can be flown both "wild" and "mild".

What was your favorite and why?? 
Funny you should ask this. I was just thinking about my very first Giant Scale from 1996. Lanier 1/3 scale Extra 300. Nice looking plane in its day. But dang, 34 pounds and I flew that beast on a Moki 3.6 twin glow. Yikes....considering what we have available today??? No wonder I wasn't impressed. LOL. One of my other favorites was my Ohio RC Giles 300 with a ZDZ 80 twin. If only they made that Giles today..... 
Lanier-Extra.jpg

Giles-ZDZ.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
One word....Spinks Akromaster

And a 60cc Ultimate 10-200 sized for IMAC, not 3D, prolly in the 72" WS range

SleepyC

150cc
Bartman said
One word....Spinks Akromaster

And a 60cc Ultimate 10-200 sized for IMAC, not 3D, prolly in the 72" WS range
SHUT UP.

CAP 232 40% at 35lbs MAX.... 

OR cause I feel bad now...

a 100cc Ultimate (no flying wires) 3Dable

25 lbs... MAX

A lightweight 40% Carden Extra 300 around 30#, Cardens are gorgeous but are heavy as hell. I just bought One to play in, it is still at sticker Beotch place but it weighs a ton.

SleepyC

150cc
Elie you need a new 3.3M Comp ARF Yak.. with a DA-200 in it! 

That was my favorite "Snapasaurus" plane ever!