• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool old school planes??

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terryscustom said
Patroller said
Isn't the classic old school aerobatic plane the Pitts?  My last several planes have been ARF's and I really want to work on a kit this winter. I am seriously looking at the Jtec 26% Pitts 12 as my first build in years. I would love the 41% version, but the extra cost for a mostly fun flier has me holding back a little. 

Awesome, I hope you do a build thread!!      The S-12 is one of my favorites, but is a little over-cooked in the RC market, would be neat if someone did an older Pitts.     The Jtec kits look really good when done.
EMHW does kits of the Pitts S1-S in two sizes. I go to their webpage and drool over their biplanes all the time.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Terryscustom said
Patroller said
Isn't the classic old school aerobatic plane the Pitts?  My last several planes have been ARF's and I really want to work on a kit this winter. I am seriously looking at the Jtec 26% Pitts 12 as my first build in years. I would love the 41% version, but the extra cost for a mostly fun flier has me holding back a little. 

Awesome, I hope you do a build thread!!      The S-12 is one of my favorites, but is a little over-cooked in the RC market, would be neat if someone did an older Pitts.     The Jtec kits look really good when done.
I definitely plan on doing a build thread with lots of pics. The last couple of days I have been working on my basement. I am making room for a build table. Once I have that done, I will have a plane on it.

Last night I had the Jtec website open and my wife looks over my shoulder to see what I was drooling over. She comments that the Pitts 12 is very pretty. I'll take that as spousal consent. 
smug.png

3D-Joy

50cc
Cap 232 !

Had one for a few years and loved it.  I flew IMAC up to advanced and learned some 3D with it too.  Then like 80% of IMAC guys, I got an Extra...  The Extra in its various configurations makes for a very good compromise but it sure does not have the Cap character and flavor.

Do-rag

100cc
Anybody remember the Hots? They made a large version of it but it never seemed to fly as well as the smaller versions.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Do-rag said
Anybody remember the Hots? They made a large version of it but it never seemed to fly as well as the smaller versions.
I had several of them, they were pretty cool back then.

There a guy at my old field back in the day that had a Super Hots with a .80 ducted fan engine and a pipe that was pretty awesome for the time. He used to do what he called the "Top Gun" maneuver, what we know now as a full power blender. He did one too many and it disintegrated quite spectacularly! 

Do-rag

100cc
Jetpainter said
Do-rag said

I had several of them, they were pretty cool back then.

There a guy at my old field back in the day that had a Super Hots with a .80 ducted fan engine and a pipe that was pretty awesome for the time. He used to do what he called the "Top Gun" maneuver, what we know now as a full power blender. He did one too many and it disintegrated quite spectacularly! 
Still have a .40 and .60 size partially framed up in the top of my shop. One day I will finish one or both of them.

SleepyC

150cc
3D Joy said
Cap 232 !

Had one for a few years and loved it.  I flew IMAC up to advanced and learned some 3D with it too.  Then like 80% of IMAC guys, I got an Extra...  The Extra in its various configurations makes for a very good compromise but it sure does not have the Cap character and flavor.
+1

I would love this plane to be 10 lbs lighter.....

cap.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
SleepyC said

3D Joy said
Cap 232 !

+1

I would love this plane to be 10 lbs lighter.....

cap.jpg

If we had a cowl and canopy we could build a new one at 32-36# easy.       Laser cut, foam cores.      It's the cowl and canopy that are a bastard lot of work to create.

Agree, bring the wing up slightly.....maybe not all the way to thrust line (let the radio do a little work to clean up the KE).

3D-Joy

50cc
Yeah wing just slightly up and stab just slightly down.  On the picture the cowling is altered to put the engine a little lower too.  If done correctly it still looks like a Cap but flies much better.

This is my old 25% Cap with a YS 140 DZ.  37$ per gallon, 7 flights per gallon.  This thing was expensive to run LOL.

100_0044.JPG