• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bull Engines BE 124 Twin Review and Testing

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
By the weekend ending July 10, I will be posting "my" final evaluation and report card on this engine. The rest will all come as time goes on and gallons are burned through this 124cc engine from Bull Engines. I may not be the most knowledgeable tester, but I do know what "I" look for in an r/c engine. There are certainly many others that will fly this engine harder and more rigorously than I will ever be able to. But I feel if I can put it through enough stress of my own liking, (I have not been nice to this motor thus far) and it holds up, then it certainly would be worth looking at. I just hope it is enough for everyone else. I had informed Frank I would be able to finish my testing within a couple of weeks and I know some of you may be watching to see how it all shakes down. As it stands, other than the ignition issue (which is certainly not to the fault of the engine or Frank) I've not experienced a single problem with the engine. I'm not going to pull any punches and I am not going to hide or sugar coat anything. I feel it is only fair to all of us modelers as well as Frank. I do however plan to remove the engine from the Edge at 10 gallons and open her up to have a looksee inside. I of course will keep this thread updated with results and updates.

My evaluation is going to be based on the following criteria:

Overall fit and machining of engine assembly
Appearance and cosmetic amenities
Performance and reliability/dependability
Consistency of starting as well as all rpm running ranges
Smoothness of engine while running
Ease of use/user friendly
Simplicity of installation
Weight of entire assembly
Fuel economy
Comparison to other 120cc class motors.
Overall hits (pluses)
Overall misses (minuses)

I won't be knocking any other engine brand that I have used or been exposed to. Just simple evaluation from what I see first hand.

I welcome everyone to add to this list if so desired as I will do everything I can to accommodate. If there is anything I am missing or need to add, please chime in.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well it has been quite a two weeks for sure. But I feel I am pretty much finished up with what I wanted to find out about the BE 124. It is now time to pass this information on to all you out there and let you take it for what it is. Please bare in mind this is only my findings and my evaluation. Results and opinions may vary, however the bottom line will come down to two things regarding this particular engine and manufacturer. First of being, it's longevity and second, the service and support available "IF" it is ever needed. As I spoke with a great friend and quite an inspiration to myself, he pretty much confirmed my thoughts and feelings regarding our existing aircraft engines. Both common place and new to the market. Many of you may have motivational reasons for considering a new power plant for your planes. Some being price, availability, serviceability, dependability and power. All these things I will address in this posting. Many others as well.

So, without further delay...here we go. As a side note: I may be very critical in my evaluation and maybe a little too anal. Probably because I have seen the quality of 3w and DA. Though I have never run a DA, I will concede they do have pretty motors. Still, I know what "I" want from a motor and I am sure it is not any different that what most others are looking for in the same manner. So please excuse my critical approach.

Of each category I am going to use my 0-5 star method. I do hope it is appropriate in conveying what needs to be known. Though I feel I am going to be fair, honest and direct, it is going to be pretty tough to get a 5 out of me. Simple as that.

Overall fit and machining of engine assembly:

The BE 124cc twin is obviously fairly new to the market and not much has been known about it. Unlike it's smaller counter part, the 62cc single...it has not been in great use. Hopefully this thread and posting will help remove some doubts some of you have had and perhaps confirm the thoughts and feelings of others. Upon delivery of the 124, I was pleased to see it was packaged well...as well as any other engine seems to be. First impression was, it was very nice looking. I did notice the machine and tooling work. It definitely is no slouch there. I figure if a manufacturer is going to take the time to make a motor look presentable, then the rest of the package should follow suit right? The case is CNC machined from billet bar stock aluminum. And quite nicely done. Case halves fit nicely together with no rough or protruding or overlapping edges. Everything fits together quite nicely. Cylinders are robust and about as good as any other motor I have been exposed to. In some ways as I mentioned earlier, they kind of remind me of my 3dub 170 cylinders. With the transfer port bumps on three sides of each cylinder give them a quite appealing appearance in my opinion. The fact they are "heli-coiled" for spark plugs to me is of no gain or loss of opinion. I feel the steel heli-coils can provide an added advantage and due to the increased compression of this motor due to the two piston rings, they definitely are not going to hurt. Perhaps a little fine grinding of the cooling fins, but other than that I don't see an issue. I also like the very robust mounting plate on the back of the motor. I feel it would take a lot to break or damage that thing. The mating surface for the carb and reed block assembly is also done very nicely. About the only minus regarding the engine assembly, {in my opinion} is the prop hub. I suppose I am being critical, but I would like to see the prop hub the same size as the front of the engine case where the front bearing is. I am sure it is of no difference one way or another. I had first thought that having the magnet closer to the Hall Sensor would have an affect on the running of this engine, and honestly suspected the issues I had earlier this week of being the cause. I obviously have discovered different. That being said, a solid 4.5 stars.

Appearance and cosmetic amenities:

Contained within the previous heading, I feel the appearance and cosmetic amenities are pretty much covered and really don't see anything further I can add to this. As mentioned previously, I do like the "dub" look a like transfer port bumps. I do like the robust mounting plate and I really like the shiny pretty case. So, 4.5 stars.

Performance and reliability/dependability:

The performance straight out of the box was really great. When first mounted to my 107" Pilot Edge, it turned the Falcon CF 28x10 right at 6800. Of course shortly there after I encountered some igniton problems, {completely not to discredit the motor at all} That whole ignition saga really sucked for a few days. No matter what ignition I put on the engine, I would test it for power, spark and everything else I could think of. I even changed out batteries with other "known" good packs. Three of them in fact. Nothing changed this. I would test both spark plugs and I would get great spark, but when it came to starting and running? Yeah, not so much. It wasn't until one of you mentioned the fact of a failed sensor that I resolved the issue. I myself honestly did not realize that even though a sensor will allow a module to send a spark, that it could be faulty. Such was the case of the ignition saga. Replaced the ignition modules from five different set ups that were known to be good, only the one from my Sukhoi would allow the engine to at least run once in a while. Upon replacing the sensor? Yup, problem solved. The 124 starts and runs perfectly. Every single time, with no further problems. The performance is actually very very good, in my opinion. This is where I might piss some people off, not intentionally...but fact is fact. The 124 runs as well or better than most any other motor I have ever been exposed to. I would be hard pressed to say it would outperform a 3w. That being said, it will out pull an RCGF 120 all day long. Which by the way set side by side of both my 111's was pretty much equal in power. "WAY" more power than a DLE 111. And "GOBS" more than a DLA 128. As for the DLE 120, EME 120, DA 120 or even the GP 123 I can not say other than what I have noticed or been exposed to. I have seen and flown a DA 120 of a friends. It performs well. I have watched many of my friends with GP 123's. They are animals from what I can tell. Will the BE 124 outperform those two motors? Only those of you out there with them can answer that question. Still, the 124 is a very powerful and very dependable motor. I am {as I had mentioned earlier in this thread} no animal hucker like Randy {Spats} Hinton, Tim {Supa} Hanstine, Terry {Terryscustom} Wiles or many-many others. But I do "INSIST" on dependablilty. I will "NOT" support, endorse or even own a motor I can not fully depend on. That is why I have loved my "dubs" so much. Nothing is worse than the "feeling" of when you put that prized plane in the air, "will that motor keep running". To say I trust this 124 as much as I do my 3w's or even my DLE's I have had is an understatement. I absolutely did not trust the DLA 128. And though "ANY" motor can cough, sputter or give up at any given moment, I feel confident with the 124. I put it through the same tests and maneuvers that the 128 failed at miserably. Even before I rectified the ignition issue with the 124, it kept on running and never quite. Not once. For this, 4.75 stars.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Consistency of starting as well as all rpm running ranges:
Smoothness of engine while running:
Ease of use/user friendly:

These next three catagories I will combine into one evaluation. As I feel they all kind of go hand in hand. The consistency of starting and rpm was very consistent each and every time. Usually 3-4 flips choke on, a few flips after that. No deviation. The rpm's static have been pretty consistent. Now that the ignition issue is resolved, it consistently turns a "VERY" smooth 1500 to 1600 rpm idle. It will go much lower on idle. I believe I had it down to around 1050 to 1100. But it is not nearly as smooth as most of you would already assume. Up through the throttle curve it is fairly linear. It does seem to have more response from just shy of half throttle to full than it does from the same just half to idle. I am pretty certain however this is my throttle arm geometry setup. Smoothness is as good or better than the DLE 111's and the RCGF 120. As for ease of use and user friendly? Pretty much self explanatory since it has a Walbro carb. My needles are still on the slight rich side, but straight out of the box Walbro settings are pretty normal. I did have to twist the fuel inlet fitting as it faced forward. Also, it is very close to the one muffler and does concern me for temperature from the muffler. Maybe a ever so slight re-design of the muffler would removed this concern. My rating, 4.0

Simplicity of installation:

The 124 has the same mounting as all the 100/120cc class motors. Same foot print and same bolt pattern. Same prop pattern so it is pretty much a fifteen minute swap for any motor of that size. Two things I do not like however are this. It is wider due to the spark plug arrangement. Much like the RCGF 120, get ready to cut that cowl to make provisional space for the left spark plug boot. Unless you have a very wide cowl. However I do understand the logic behind the spark plug location. The other thing is, it is just a tad longer than the DLE 111/120. If it is a new install on a new plane, that is not a problem. But one that has already been set up with a particular engine, may require some slight changes. Standoffs were not included with my engine, however Frank has assured me that he will include them with the 124 in the future. I improvised and actually it all worked out pretty well. Rating, 4.0 stars

Weight of entire assembly:

The weight of the 124 is very appealing in most cases. it comes in at just a tick over 6.0 lbs including mufflers and ignition. Lighter than the RCGF 120, Lighter than the DLE 120, Equal to the DLE 111, Just a tick heavier than the EME 120. The only other engine I looked at for information was the DA 120. All of the above are heavier than the DA. Still, I don't see half a pound being an issue on an airframe these engines will be mounted on. Rating, 4.5 stars.

Fuel economy:

At first I was "VERY" concerned of fuel economy of this engine. It seemed to not only use the fuel, but "GULPED" it like it was going out of style. I consulted a few of you guys and discovered that it really was not too far off the norm. I guess I have been used to my 111's being such misers with fuel. My sons 222 will use about 25-28 ounces for a 10 to 11 minue flight. This monster "was" using right at 28-30 ounces for the same time. Ah, but wait...stupid me. Ignition problem would cause this right? YUP. After the flights I did yesterday with a now good and properly operating ignition system, fuel consumption was just over an ounce or two more than than my 111's. 12 minutes in the air plus start up, taki out, landing and taxi back yielded a whopping 19 ounces. Ok, I am pleased. Rating, 4.5 stars.

Comparison to other 120cc class motors:

Comparing the 124 to the other 120cc class motors I have been exposed to is summed up like this. It runs very well, has very very good performance. It is dependable and absolutely reliable. Workmanship is as good or better than any of the motors out there today. It looks very nice and eye candy appealing. In my opinion, hands down it is as every bit as good as a DLE, EME, RCGF or the like. Again, this is all strictly my opinion from what I have been exposed to. The GP 123 and the DA could..."COULD" prove differently.

Overall misses (minuses):

Standoffs would be really great to have. Frank has promised to rectify this.
Prop hub diameter. Frank also promised to address this. I am aware he has many of the original size in stock, however definitely something he will be revising. Rating, 4.0 stars

Overall hits (pluses):

The overall pluses to this motor are the machining and the appearance. It comes with genuine NGK CM6 plugs, the mufflers are nicely built and are warrantied by the manufacturer. I don't know of any other company that does this. Sure if the motor is brand new and there is a problem out of the box, I am sure everyone will cover them. But if the BE 124 mufflers break from normal usage? Get in touch with Frank. They are covered. The motor has a 3 year warranty. His service thus far has been impeccable. And a 30 day money back no questions asked guarantee. That's quite a statement. It runs very well, has great power, is dependable,reliable, consistent. I told Frank and a few of my friends that if, "IF" we all had available a motor that run like a "dub", looked like a DA and was priced econonmically like a DLE, then he just might have a winner. In my opinion, Frank is pretty darn close. If not there already. In my opinion, this all speaks very loudly. 4.99 stars.

I feel there is always room for improvement on many levels. Though I feel very confident about this engine, there is always the possibility of failure. It is very easy to come into an already established market and make a splash. And if your product is good enough, it will only be as good as the service and the longevity of the company. As well as the ability to be flexible to the public demands and requests. If a company will listen to their customers and what they want, and be willing to be patient until the product proves itself. Then quite possibly that company will survive and blossom with great success. We in the R/C community are very demanding of what we want. Yes, maybe a little too expectant so there has to be compromise to some extent. But as Pilot R/C has done as well as many other manufacturers, they offer a good product at a fair price with superb customer service, if BE can also maintain this level of devotion, Then they will succeed.

In finalization: I am hard headed to some extent, bull headed and stubborn. I am anal and I am critical. I am 3w spoiled. I love this hobby with every fiber of my being. This is the absolute most honesty I can offer Frank and all you out there regarding this engine. My son is very much the same way. {Poor kid...LOL} However, after yesterday's flying my son has put his first BE 124 on order for his new 120 sized airframe. Would I purchase another 124? Most definitely.

I did however make a very-"VERY" strong suggestion to Frank. "BUILD A 70cc TWIN!"

I do hope this information has been useful and appreciated. The recent photos I have attached are after 3.5 gallons of fuel. I don't see anything changing , {except getting better} as time goes on. Time of course will be the final determining factor.
20160709_174418.jpg
20160709_174718 - Copy.jpg
20160709_174718.jpg
20160709_174930 - Copy.jpg
20160709_174930.jpg
20160709_174951.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I wanted to reiterate one small bit of information. I mentioned earlier in this thread Frank was courteous and generous enough to offer a "LIMITED" incentive purchase.

For those interested, contact me for details.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
This is a really crappy video everyone, but at least it is something. This was before I changed out the Hall sensor and still had the 124 a little on the rich side. This is only my opinion strictly because I have put 77 flights on this Edge. I have never been as close to dumping it as I was in this video. The wind and a few other things going on, but I am certain had it been anything other than the 124, I probably would have dumped it good. I have put two more flights on the Edge since replacing the Hall sensor. Adjusted the needles a little leaner and man, this thing cooks.
Don't be harsh, like I said...not the best video.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Purple got HUCKED real good :attaboy:. Amazing what you can do to Pilot air frames with a good motor!From that close up of the engine it looks to have "Tunnel Porting". Motor got you out of having to replace the rudder and a bunch of other stuff. Now that's RELIABLE :p.