• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Building a Bulldog II

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Vacuum bagging is great but when it goes wrong it is not fixable. You just start over. Do not ask how I know.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I know nothing has been posted lately on the CAD work but I believe it is complete. Although complete we keep having ideas on improving on some of the items. Things like adding light ply stringers for the fuse which adds strength, making the engine box interlocking, etc. By the end of the month, that's when I will be ready for it, this will be a seriously nice short kit, drawn, ready for cutting, just waiting on me.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
When making a cad drawing of a plane it is never done it like building a scale aeroplane. Ever time you look at the drawings you can make improvements, it's never ending you just have say it what it is done and start the next phase.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
When making a cad drawing of a plane it is never done it like building a scale aeroplane. Ever time you look at the drawings you can make improvements, it's never ending you just have say it what it is done and start the next phase.
I believe we have reached that point, actually just removed an item as it was going into over building. Andreas and myself have critiqued every piece of lumber and I have assembled it numerous times in my head, I think we have it done. It will be the end of the month before I am ready if not a week or so beyond. But it is coming so hang around.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Is this the firs time you are making a set of cad brawings to make a plane. If it is may I suggest that you decide to build just a small part like one half of the stabilizer. Send that drawing to the person who cuts the parts for you then try to assemble the stabilizer. You will learn a few things that you will most likely make changes that cad drawing that will help you. Just trying to help.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Blazing Wings is doing the cad work, it is not his first time. He already has a couple drawings for the Challengers but I wanted a little more scale, well, a lot more scale. The fuse is a standard fuse with just a couple mods I asked for to strengthen certain areas and simplify building. The wings are nearly totally redrawn because of the sweep, having different airfoils between top and bottom, as well as more ribs, and the need to be stronger.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
If you have done it several times you will be ok. It is just that I have had rids cut from a cad drawing and the part that we got into some difficulties is the sizing of the slots for spars so that we ended up with a tight fit , try to find the right amount of off set to cut slot is the trick. And we have found that the off set changes depending on the laser cut width and company.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I am sure, being as he cuts kits already, he knows how his laser works and how to adjust it. He is only cutting the ply parts, I will be cutting everything else and can cut parts such as the spars to what ever size they need be. He has already noted that he can make any of his kits any size but the builder has to size his own lumber outside of what is in the kit.
The only reason we have been making the noted changes is for scale, strength, and simpler building. I have built numerous Pitts from scratch to kits and have a good idea of what and where to strengthen and or simplify. An example is making the fuse stringers of light ply and to shape, stronger and less work.