• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Batteries: Which Lithium Chemistry and How Are You Charging?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It

A lot of misinformation here, the specifications say 1C, the second tab "additional info" clearly says Max charge rate 1C, The Q&A says 5C not 6C but again not clear at all and that is why I have not tried them.

Region capture 4.png

Region capture 3.png

I still have my Pulse 5000 MAH batteries and still us them. The Thunder power was an experiment with a 25C rated battery. I have not noticed the same phenomenon with the TP batteries yet. The voltage drop is also less.

A lot of misinformation here, the specifications say 1C, the second tab "additional info" clearly says Max charge rate 1C, The Q&A says 5C not 6C but again not clear at all and that is why I have not tried them.

View attachment 28333

View attachment 28332

Attached is the Note in the first page

Note: This receiver battery is designed for 1C charge rate and a 6C discharge rate - do NOT exceed greater than 1C during the charging of this LiPo battery. Any charge rate greater than 1C / discharge rate greater than 6C will immediately void the warranty and very well may end up in pack destruction via fire. It is the end users responsibility to ensure proper safe charging practices, so please be aware of this.

When I first purchased these batteries last year I do not recall even seeing the 15C rating. Only the receiver 6C discharge rating. Thus my investigation into other batteries. I have an email from Buddy RC for the Glacier receiver packs and they are rated for 5C discharge.

Judge

70cc twin V2
It would be very strange to see a lipo with a 6C discharge rating. 15C for a RX pack is pretty standard. Regardless, with a 2 pack set up at 6C loading I can still handle 30 amps total. On my 50cc plane that is not a likely scenario. If I was using Pulse packs in a larger plane I would use larger packs.

If you went with dual 5,000 mAh packs in a 40% even at 6C you're looking at a 60 amp load before getting any real voltage depression. That would work for me.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
For me it is Fromeco LiIons in everything and I charge them with a Hitec X4. Charge them at 2A and they are done pretty quickly.

Bipeguy03

150cc
For me it is Fromeco LiIons in everything and I charge them with a Hitec X4. Charge them at 2A and they are done pretty quickly.

+1 for me, Hitec X4 charger as well but I usually charge at 2.6A for the 2600's and 5.2A for the 52's. Also, a lot of people over look the fact that most chargers in LiIon mode only charges to 8.2v, when with Fromeco (at least) they should be charged in the LiPo setting to 8.4v.

I've never had more than a 40 minute charge time with either the 26's or the 52's. The ReLions have never let me down!

Last edited:
I also use Fromeco Li-ions but I use a Hitec x4-80 and charge at 2A using the Li-po settings Charging to 8.4 (unloaded) usually takes less than 2 hours.

Glacier LiPo's for me, available from BuddyRC, in Columbus, OH. I'm using all 3 sizes of Rx LiPo they offer. I have flown 2 2600's in a 37% with 8 servos, and gotten 4 flights. I upsized them to 3600's, and getting 7 flights, roughly. Pulse, GensAce and Glacier are all made in the same factory, just a different set of QC standards for each manufacture.

TailDragger RC also has Rx LiPo. They do cost a bit more than the Glaciers I use, but they are a more expensive cell to manufacture. "C" ratings are true, and I believe that they are 20C discharge, constant, not momentary.

I also use a 406 Duo iCharger on 24V DC input.