• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AeroBeez 73" (26%) Yak-54 30cc ARF Airplane

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Just an update... I think I might have found the right silicone pipe for the muffler. After trying three different local stores I found arubber hose and pipe dealer in the salt lake city area that sounded like he had the same stuff. He shipped me out a foot of it. I'll be able to confirm whether it will work once the package arrives (probably tomorrow). Otherwise I will have to wait at least two weeks for valleyviewrc to have any.

3dNater

Fellas I was able to re-maiden this plane last weekend with my gear in it. It ended up being really tail heavy so it got just one flight where I was really glad to have it back on the ground with no damage. Gary and I determined that my servos are quite a bit heavier than his. When you pair that with the dle 35 being a tad lighter than the dle 30 it was a recipe for a very intense flying experience ;). Today I moved the ignition from the canister tunnel up to the side of the motorbox and the life pack up to the top of the motorbox. The shift forward is significant but it still balances around 3/4 behind the wing tube. Not having owned a yak before I am wondering where I shoud be aiming to get the cg. As a test I started dropping big socket wrenches into the front of the cowl. Once it balanced on the wing tube I weighed them. 11.1 oz. I really hope it will fly ok as is. I will buy some new servos before adding that much weight. I will fly it again tomorrow and report.

SnowDog

im surprised to hear the DLE35 is lighter than the dle-30...

do you have the same length standoffs?

if so , I would consider using longer standoffs to get the motor forward instead of adding dead weight.

also, where is rudder servo?

3dNater

The rudder is set up as pull/pull. You can verify the weight difference between the 30 and 35 on valleyview rc's website. Right now I dont plan to add any weight. I could move the motor forward some but I am going to try it as is tomorrow. Maybe Ill take some washers out to the field to extend the standoffs if I need to.

Pete

50cc
Working on the Red YAK-54 for a hucking flight review with a couple of pilots! Stay tuned! If any of you have any questions, please post! Thanks!

Pete

3dNater

Sounds great Pete! I'm really looking forward to huckin this plane too once I get comfortable with my setup.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Good luck at the field today 3dnater! I hope she flies like a dream. A buddy of mine has one and really enjoys it! He has the green one as well. It's super easy to see and looks great in the air!

3dNater

Well I managed to find a break in the rainy weather for a flight on this yak. It turns out my efforts to shift the weight more forward have not quite gone far enough. The plane still does not track really well but it is definitely better than it was before. It did fly well enough that I hucked it a little and got a little taste of how fun this plane will become once I get it really dialed in. I'm looking forward to flying it after some more adjustments.

My flight was cut short by a little engine trouble. As it started acting up I lined up for a landing approach. It died just about 20 ft before it touched down.

Upon further investigation I was able to determine that there is a plumbing issue inside the tank so the engine was not able to draw fuel past about half tank. I picked up some new tygon on my way home and will re-plumb the tank before taking it out again.