• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

I gave my wrecked one to a buddy. It collapsed and bounced back in a lawn dart. The paint is horrible, but the fiberglass is ok. I will ask what he wants to do with it. The plane was electric so no cut outs.

RotorJockey

70cc twin V2
I gave my wrecked one to a buddy. It collapsed and bounced back in a lawn dart. The paint is horrible, but the fiberglass is ok. I will ask what he wants to do with it. The plane was electric so no cut outs.

Sounds great to me!

Not as interested in aesthetics as just getting it flying, so if you guys want to sell it, just let me know and I'll shoot you some cash for your troubles!

Fred

kman240

New to GSN!
Motrolfly 4330?

He everyone!.....I need some information,

I am ready for my motor and have decided on the Motrolfly 4330. I have an 8S setup so I am going with the 300Kv which it seems most people use......But when I look at the website they only show 298 and 310 kv ratings. Is everyone just calling the 298 a 300 or is the 300 a custom wind?? Does it make that much of a difference?? I am into the 3D flying at various speeds, just fooling around and having fun.....so I think the 300 should be ok for my purposes? After reading a lot of threads I have come to the conclusion that final setups are kind of a personal preference thing for most people.....but I would really like to hear from you guys just to get some feedback before I buy. Thanks for your help!!

K

I had a 4325-310 on 8S when I had one of these. I was using 19" props. I would assume that wind and bigger motor means you can use 20" props, which is better for 3D. With a lower wind you can always prop up to get speed.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hi Ken,

First, excellent motor choice!
Yes, the 300 is likely the what the 298 is referred to.
2kv on 8s works out to about 50rpm, which would be very difficult to notice the difference.

For the kv choice, should be nice... You can choose between a few different props to fit your flying style.

First and foremost with this airplane, reinforce your wings. I learned the hard way they are a known weak point. My wing failed and came off the airplane on it's 18th flight...

After I had to purchase a new wing, Joe Smith sent me some instructions and pics on where he reinforced his so they wouldn't break, I posted it all a few months back.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else, this plane flies well and you'll surely enjoy it.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I found the text from Joe, here is what he says you should do:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393684439.810150.jpg

Here is the full image of the inside of his wing:
yvuzabe6.jpg

kman240

New to GSN!
Don't worry I have already reinforced the wings based on these threads! Don't want to take any chances with this baby!! One wing looked ok but I epoxied it anyway but the other wing was really bad. The tube sleeve didn't even reach the third rib even with their added block in the V2 wing! So I made the block and added it. Found if I removed the servo I could get my fingers pretty close to the problem area to position the block. I think I am going to add more epoxy along the whole length of the tube sleeve as per the instructions. Here is a pic of the end of the sleeve before I fixed it. I shone a light down the tube to so you could see the gap

IMG_4428.JPG

gyro

GSN Contributor
Don't worry I have already reinforced the wings based on these threads! Don't want to take any chances with this baby!! One wing looked ok but I epoxied it anyway but the other wing was really bad. The tube sleeve didn't even reach the third rib even with their added block in the V2 wing! So I made the block and added it. Found if I removed the servo I could get my fingers pretty close to the problem area to position the block. I think I am going to add more epoxy along the whole length of the tube sleeve as per the instructions. Here is a pic of the end of the sleeve before I fixed it. I shone a light down the tube to so you could see the gap

View attachment 21624

That's simply scary. I honestly can't tell any difference between the v1 and v2 wings. I think it may just be marketing... I don't know.

Glad you didn't fly it that way. When I was messaging with Joe about his, he said his mods make it about as strong as it can get, and that he couldn't break it.

Wish they'd do that at the factory versus letting people figure it out themselves.

wade

50cc
I love this plane, but I swear I am so sick and tired of 3dhs being out of stock on parts for it. I've been waiting for a red cowl to come in stock since before Thanksgiving last year. I don't think they will ever come back in stock. While I was looking around on their site, I saw that they had a motorbox kit in stock. I didn't need one, but bought it just because I figured if anything happened to my plane and I needed one, could I wait 5 months or lord knows how long for one to come in stock. We've started calling them "3Doutofstockshop"

On a positive note. I needed a replacement axle collar. So, on my order I asked them if they could search and see if they had one. They were out of stock on the axle sets, and I just needed 1 collar anyway. When I received my order, there was a wheel collar in the box with the kit. So, I do definitely appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
That's simply scary. I honestly can't tell any difference between the v1 and v2 wings. I think it may just be marketing... I don't know.

Glad you didn't fly it that way. When I was messaging with Joe about his, he said his mods make it about as strong as it can get, and that he couldn't break it.

Wish they'd do that at the factory versus letting people figure it out themselves.

Wow Gary... that is putting it nicely. I crafted a response to that three times but couldn't manage to moderate my tone. It makes me angry to see that picture knowing that 3dhs management seems aware of the problems. There are too many other good options around for me to take that kind of risk. I'm not interested in having to make mods on a plane that is supposed to be "... the Best." I'll spare everyone the self-righteous anger rant I typed the first two times. They make their decisions and I make mine and I'm spending my $ elsewhere for now. The new AJ Laser looks promising ;)