• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ashleigh, I've been told this was a frequent problem a few years ago when the plane first arrived. I've run into many local flyers in Texas who were very familiar with it unfortunately. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing there are some forum posts about it in the pre-2011/12 time frame.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Is this still an issue with this airframe? It one is on my short list for a new airframe.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Is this still an issue with this airframe? It one is on my short list for a new airframe.

Since the new wing I had to buy from 3dhs was absolutely identical from the one that failed, I have to say that I personally wouldn't fly a brand new 72 Extra without first doing the reinforcement mentioned above.

Whether or not the the need to reinforce a new plane plays into your purchase decision is up to you.... But I will say that the airplane flies excellently, so I'm happy to be flying mine again.

Mach3

30cc
I just got back from my dusk maiden flight on my 72" & in one word WOW :grrreat:
I have a couple question for my fellow flyer. My plane didn't seem to roll great but maybe it was just me needing to spend more then one minutes setting up the ailerons ;) How much control throws do you guys have on you 72" ?
I had to put in 6 clicks off up to level the plane out so I guess I'm a bit far back on my cg but where does everyone have there CG & battery's at ?
Finally I'm running a 20X8 prop on Motrolfly 4330 298kv with a Ice 100 running two 4S 4000 30c packs in series & I have a 20X10 to try but what do most others run ?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'm not sure I read the meaning in your post right Mike. Does needing up elevator trim indicate nose heavy or tail heavy? Or did you just have to push forward on the trim switch?

Either way I'm glad to hear you are loving the plane.

Mach3

30cc
I'm mean push forward on the trim switch & if I remember correctly I had the battery about 1/2" away from the wing tube.
The CG seem to be about 5 5/8" from the leading edge of the wing near the fuselage with the canopy off.
Steven

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just got back from my dusk maiden flight on my 72" & in one word WOW :grrreat:
I have a couple question for my fellow flyer. My plane didn't seem to roll great but maybe it was just me needing to spend more then one minutes setting up the ailerons ;) How much control throws do you guys have on you 72" ?
I had to put in 6 clicks off up to level the plane out so I guess I'm a bit far back on my cg but where does everyone have there CG & battery's at ?
Finally I'm running a 20X8 prop on Motrolfly 4330 298kv with a Ice 100 running two 4S 4000 30c packs in series & I have a 20X10 to try but what do most others run ?

Awesome, congrats on your maiden!

For the throws, my high rates are max travel, my mid rates are about 2/3rd, and my low are 1/3rd.

For the roll rate, it's a little less with the SFG on, just make sure you have max travel on high rate (bevel to bevel) and that your servos are adequate and not blowing back.

For CG, I don't measure on the ground anymore, I just do the inverted 45 degree up line with 2/3rd power. If the nose drops, she's nose heavy, etc.

On the motrolfly, I went with the max prop she could handle without going over 150f upon landing. In your case c the 20x10 on 8s should be nice!

Good luck!

Mach3

30cc
I didn't have the SFG on yet as I just got the maiden in before dark ;) I will check all my throws tonight & setup my radio a bit better now that I got the first flight under my belt.
Judging by your comment I'm tail heavy then, I will adjust my pack forward for my next flight in the morning & report back on how it does.
Also I got the Savox 1258 (with your recommendation) which seem to be very quick but a little noisy compare to the Hitec's I normally run, what arms did you use on your ailerons ?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I didn't have the SFG on yet as I just got the maiden in before dark ;) I will check all my throws tonight & setup my radio a bit better now that I got the first flight under my belt.
Judging by your comment I'm tail heavy then, I will adjust my pack forward for my next flight in the morning & report back on how it does.
Also I got the Savox 1258 (with your recommendation) which seem to be very quick but a little noisy compare to the Hitec's I normally run, what arms did you use on your ailerons ?

I used the included plastic arms that come with the SA-1258. They work well.

Yes, the Savox are a little noisy on the ground, but don't worry, it's not damaging anything. They're just working hard to center. If they get bad, do the fuzzy Velcro trick.

Make sure you have your radio's travel adjust maxed out (then backed down to max mechanical limits)

Darn it all Gyro, now I have to ask - what's the fuzzy velcro trick? Soft mounting the servos so they don't whine as much? I gotta know!! Tell me, tell me!!!