• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

I was told that by Noll that the wing I purchased from 3DHS was a "V2" wing. Again, V2, V3, V40, it is no different from the remaining wing on my airplane, and thus, the wing that failed in flight.

wait... are V2 wings failing on the 72? aarrgghhh.... thought I was safe from that with my V2. What's our current best-fix? Thanks !

gyro

GSN Contributor
wait... are V2 wings failing on the 72? aarrgghhh.... thought I was safe from that with my V2. What's our current best-fix? Thanks !

As I mentioned, I was able to detect absolutely no difference between a known v2 wing, and the one on my plane... Meaning either my plane was a v2 unlike I was told, or the only thing they changed was the type of glue used.

Either way, my wing failed after 18 flights, and I was on my own. I spoke to a very smart owner of a 72, and got some pointers for reinforcing the wings (was advised it should be done to all versions).

"Block gets added... Plus lots of epoxy... Epoxy needs to be added for the whole length of the receiving tube. In all the corners..... But first. You use thin CA and piano wire to soak all the joints around the receiving tube... Just drip CA on the wire and it will run down it.... For the epoxy, I use a syringe and a small straw... Or you can use an epoxy gun with a straw... Have to be able to get to the very end of the tube though."
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385301628.489800.jpg

So I did all advised except the adding of the block:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385301836.838541.jpg

Got it, thanks! Sounds like that is the same fix from a year or so ago for the V1 wings - we just need to do so regardless of model version.

Mach3

30cc
I just about to maiden my 72" extra & I now I beginning to really worry about my wings.
I can see some extra blocks of ply around the wing tube inside both of my wings so I think I have the V2 fixed wings.
Do I still need to add some more reinforcement to my wings & if so where & what should I do to them ?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just about to maiden my 72" extra & I now I beginning to really worry about my wings.
I can see some extra blocks of ply around the wing tube inside both of my wings so I think I have the V2 fixed wings.
Do I still need to add some more reinforcement to my wings & if so where & what should I do to them ?

Yes, you should follow all the steps listed above.
Even the "v2" replacement wing I purchased needed reinforcement.

RC Girl

70cc twin V2
Have many people have had problems with their wings? Ive never heard of that problem except for the one that was landed safely.. (Gyro's?)

Ive had 2 72" Extra airframes and haven't had a problem with either