• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

SnowDog

Actually, never mind. I think it'll be easier to just replace the whole thing

If you are going to rebuild the entire motor box (with a 3DHS motor box kit, I assume?) then wait until the rebuild kit arrives, and look at the parts in the kit - compare it to what you have that is broken or needs replacements. Begin removing the broken parts with CA remover, and then install the new parts where the broken items have been removed. That's the general process anyway...ignore me if you are already familiar with the process. ;)

The nice think with the rebuild kit is that you can pretty much trial fit the entire thing and then CA it all together once you are satisfied.

wamsy55

50cc
If it a gas frame I would hit the major joints on the front of the motor box with epoxy. Ca is not good at handling the vibrations from and engine and especially a 30ccer.

joshgluck

100cc
This might end up being the same one, but here is the URL i ordered from: http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_28&products_id=217
Choosing option C for 30cc

James used it on his 72" Extra and it worked a champ

Ashleigh, have you rebuilt the motor box already? I'd like to see some pics of the rebuild!

I found this link at redwingrc...Josh, is this the one you are thinking of:

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?...ducts_id=138&zenid=ja16s6dteov113enh29vm6d1e0

gyro

GSN Contributor
If it a gas frame I would hit the major joints on the front of the motor box with epoxy. Ca is not good at handling the vibrations from and engine and especially a 30ccer.

Good advice! Haven't seen this specifically recommended before.

RC Girl

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Ive decided to just replace that parts that are in the worst condition with parts from the motor box kit, and just glue some of the pieces with less damage back together. Also, i dont remember if i already mentioned this or not but im going to convert it to electric instead of gas

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Ive decided to just replace that parts that are in the worst condition with parts from the motor box kit, and just glue some of the pieces with less damage back together. Also, i dont remember if i already mentioned this or not but im going to convert it to electric instead of gas

come on over to the good side :D

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
Haha yes :D my BigFoot's gonna be electric too :D :)

Should i go 8s on the extra?

its really your choice. first of all i would go with a motrolfly, just cuz they are the bees knees.

do you already have 6s5000 packs? do you care about plugging in 2 packs instead of one? if yes to either of those, go with 6s.

do you have planes that run on 4s4000 packs? do you plan to have planes that run on 4s4000 packs? if yes to those, 8s might be the best option.

and then there is the issue of nose weight. it seems the best option would be to just go with a heavier motor, and if you are running 8s, hacker has some offerings that may work for ya. the 4330 from motrolfly is freaking awesome, and is perfect power for the extra (not too little, not too much). i might consider doing a new edge 120hv controller from castle just to get some more weight forward. im still trying to figure that part out though