• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

Jkim

50cc
Hey guys I am in need of the landing gear cover for my 71" Slick. Is anyone has that piece laying around and does not need it I sure could use it. I probably could build one but thought I would check first.

Cmala

70cc twin V2
I have a vintage 70" Slick that came off the first shipment.

It's been a good plane. Replaced motor box and other repairs.

I'm still running it on 6S-5000 with a Reaper GR60XL V1. The power is ok but I'm ready to kick it up a notch. I really have to be careful hovering because it doesn't have gobs of power.

Do you guys think it could handle an OS33-GT? All my batteries are old Zippy's. I don't really want to invest in a bunch of new packs and I don't buy from HK anymore so I'm thinking gas.

Maybe I should just unload it and get something new...

ryan_m

100cc
Glacier 6s5300's. Easier and cheaper!
Upgrade to a Motrolfly 4330 also and you will a rocketship.
If you go gas you'll need a new cowl and canopy and gas motorbox too.

gyro

GSN Contributor
4330 $190
Glacier 6S-5300 $110

So with 4 batteries, that's a $630 upgrade.

Ugh

Craig, any chance you can sell your current motor on the classifieds?

Maybe just get two glaciers for now. The have a fast 5c charge rate.
I used two of their 4s4000 in my 70" Slick with the motrolfly 5320 and 4325.
Whoa! It was a real rocket ship....
You definitely wouldn't be disappointed with the new motor.
Also, IRRC, you'd have to hack the motorbox pretty bad, as it extends pretty deep into the cowl.

I'm not sure if he still has it, but the guy here in Texas who bought mine (bigbookfrank) was looking to sell it. You might be able to get the motor and batts right from him?
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1423-3DHS-70-quot-Slick-525-PNP-Dallas-TX-LPU-ONLY

-G

ryan_m

100cc
two batteries and a good charger can keep you flying nearly constantly...
I don't buy more than two of any size. I've also got 1200 watts of charging power supply, and two icharger 306's, plus an icharger 208 to go along with it.
I usually don't charge at more than 3c, which on a 6s5000 takes about 375-400 watts to do. But it gets the job done in 15 minutes or so.

Cmala

70cc twin V2
I have a PL8 and feather merchant power supplies but frequently fly at just open spaces so no power. The club field has good power so I will just have to think on it.

I appreciate the advice for sure.

Diggity

70cc twin V2
I have a vintage 70" Slick that came off the first shipment.

It's been a good plane. Replaced motor box and other repairs.

I'm still running it on 6S-5000 with a Reaper GR60XL V1. The power is ok but I'm ready to kick it up a notch. I really have to be careful hovering because it doesn't have gobs of power.

Do you guys think it could handle an OS33-GT? All my batteries are old Zippy's. I don't really want to invest in a bunch of new packs and I don't buy from HK anymore so I'm thinking gas.

Maybe I should just unload it and get something new...

Sounds like you have the electric version. It might be difficult to convert it to gas.

quadracer

100cc
If you have any other planes that use 4S packs, you could get away with just buying a motor wound for 8S, and share batts with another plane. Just an idea.

Cmala

70cc twin V2
All my batteries are old worn out crappy king batteries.

I guess I will be going with gens ace or glacier from now on.