• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

SteveT.

100cc
LOL! I'll keep an eye out for you! I'm super excited, my AMA card hasn't shown up yet but i have a temp. one they emailed me that i can print out. It should show up soon though.

On the Slick i really like that the hinges in the ailerons are already done and sealed, very nice. I have the dvd AJ made, "All Things Slick". I'll have to watch it again when setting up my Slick. So far it looks awesome :D :D

As with anything that is already done for you...make sure you check them just to make sure they are done properly. (give the ailerons a little tug)... just saying..

SteveT

LOL! I'll keep an eye out for you! I'm super excited, my AMA card hasn't shown up yet but i have a temp. one they emailed me that i can print out. It should show up soon though.

On the Slick i really like that the hinges in the ailerons are already done and sealed, very nice. I have the dvd AJ made, "All Things Slick". I'll have to watch it again when setting up my Slick. So far it looks awesome :D :D

I bought the same DVD when I got my Slick. Who better to learn from on setting up and flying your plane then it's designer? I took my time setting mine up since I was in your same boat, I had to buy it piece by piece. It is a great plane it is just taking me time to learn to fly such a large plane. It feels totally different then my 48" planes.

hone

150cc
As with anything that is already done for you...make sure you check them just to make sure they are done properly. (give the ailerons a little tug)... just saying..

SteveT

Definitely! I already gave em' a nice pull and they're in there good.

I bought the same DVD when I got my Slick. Who better to learn from on setting up and flying your plane then it's designer? I took my time setting mine up since I was in your same boat, I had to buy it piece by piece. It is a great plane it is just taking me time to learn to fly such a large plane. It feels totally different then my 48" planes.

I got that DVD a few months ago and have been waiting to get the 71 ever since. I'm looking forward to the build. It'll be interesting going up to this size plane.

hone

150cc
I got everything all mocked up just to see how big it is....I like it! IMG_2218.jpg

hone

150cc
sweet - that is one of the coolest pictures....the smile on your face says it all!:ecstatic:

Yeah i'm super hyped on this plane! I just did a test fit in the car(1999 toyota camry) and it fits easily with the front seat laid back.

hone

150cc
Congrats! It was intimidating for me too going up to 71". I am slowly getting use to it. For me everything seems to be smoother but slower.

You went from 48'' planes straight to the 71'' though right? I'm hoping my choice to get a few 60'' planes before going bigger is going to benefit my transition to bigger planes.

How close does your RF6 Slick fly compared to the 71? I'm getting RF6 this week and am looking forward to trying the planes you've made, i've read they are the best ones many times.

The planes on the sim are never going to fly exactly like the real thing. I just try to get them as close to feeling like a real rc plane as I can. The extra and slick variants I post fly differently from one another in various ways. Just find one your comfortable with and tweak it from there.

I went from micro's to 48" to 71" slick and it wasn't as big of a transition as I anticipated. The 71 is a pussycat in the air! :D

You went from 48'' planes straight to the 71'' though right? I'm hoping my choice to get a few 60'' planes before going bigger is going to benefit my transition to bigger planes.

Yes sir. I am sure you will have no problems at all.

The planes on the sim are never going to fly exactly like the real thing. I just try to get them as close to feeling like a real rc plane as I can. The extra and slick variants I post fly differently from one another in various ways. Just find one your comfortable with and tweak it from there.

I went from micro's to 48" to 71" slick and it wasn't as big of a transition as I anticipated. The 71 is a pussycat in the air! :D

It is a really nice and smooth plane to fly. It is just taking me a little bit to get use to how slow it reacts in the air (not sure I am using the right terms here.) My 48's just flip and tumble around at crazy rates and speed compared to the slick but the slick is smoother (it does have an insane roll rate on high settings!!) and more graceful and I believe that is due to it's size. It is also taking a bit to get use to the amount of money that is flying around in the air so I tend to fly higher then with my smaller planes too. It is a nice great amazing flying plane just little things I have never experienced before are taking me a bit of time to get use to. That is all. I am up to 23 flights on my Slick now so it is getting better.

I do have a question though. After I bolt on my wings there still seems to be a bit of play between the wing and the fuse where the rotations pins are. Is this something to be concerned about or is it normal? I am constantly checking the tightness of the bolts before I take off because of the horror stories of wings coming off in flight.