• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

It is a great plane you will love it. I love mine just gotta keep working on getting comfortable with it. This is the largest plane I own by far so it is taking me a bit to get use to the weight, smoothness, and slower reactions then say a 48" plane. It is my pride and joy by far and everyone at my field keeps try to take it off my hands. That is never going to happen.

zmonster97

hone1er,

I talked to ken a bunch on the best motor for 6s on 19x10 for a 71 slick. He basically said he could wind a 5320 or the 4330 to 400kv and that would be the best kv. They would both put out about the same power. About 100-110 amps. So I would think that you would not want to use a 100a esc. I'd go for at least a 110a esc with either of those motors. The 4325, you can use a 100a esc with.

ryan_m

100cc
Find an older used HV110, or you could get one of the ZTW 110 or 120's too. They are attractively priced:
http://www.quantumhobby.com/category-s/685.htm
http://www.quantumhobby.com/category-s/686.htm (newer B series)

Personally I would choose a 120 B series ZTW. More programming options on it and it's even HV capable if you ever wanted to go to 8 cells.
I have a friend using a Hobbywing 150 amp one on 6s and it's working well so far. He hasn't fed it more than about 80 amps yet though, he needs a higher kv motor for the extra power. But the ESC is nice and linear and seems to work well so far:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-platinum-150a-opto.html

hone

150cc
Cool good info guys. I might just go with the 4325 then since i have a 100a esc already. I'm sure the 4325 will haul the plane around just fine.

quadracer

100cc
I've got some salvageable parts from my red 70, if anyone wants them. I can cut the tail open and get the tail feathers out for shipping.
-rudder
-elevator (left side counterbalance has been repaired by PO)
-horizontal stab
-right wing/aileron
-wing tube
-tail wheel assembly
-cowl (has been cut, I will take pics if you're interested)

hone

150cc
My Slick arrived to today. No damage done by the gorillas at UPS this time thankfully. The UPS driver asked if it was another plane lol. He saw me flying in front of my house a few times. The slick looks super nice! I'm thinking i might have to try and sell my 47'' Osiris i JUST bought to fund this one. I want to fly it now :flyer:

SteveT.

100cc
My Slick arrived to today. No damage done by the gorillas at UPS this time thankfully. The UPS driver asked if it was another plane lol. He saw me flying in front of my house a few times. The slick looks super nice! I'm thinking i might have to try and sell my 47'' Osiris i JUST bought to fund this one. I want to fly it now :flyer:

The 71" is a GREAT plane!! You'll love it I am sure!!

SteveT

hone

150cc
The 71" is a GREAT plane!! You'll love it I am sure!!

SteveT

That's why i'm trying to get this thing flying. I'm getting some money tomorrow and that'll pay for my motor and ESC then maybe someone at Lodi Huckfest will buy my Osiris and i can get some servos

SteveT.

100cc
That's why i'm trying to get this thing flying. I'm getting some money tomorrow and that'll pay for my motor and ESC then maybe someone at Lodi Huckfest will buy my Osiris and i can get some servos

BTW....On Saturday...look for a fat grey haired old guy and that will be me.... :D :D

SteveT

hone

150cc
LOL! I'll keep an eye out for you! I'm super excited, my AMA card hasn't shown up yet but i have a temp. one they emailed me that i can print out. It should show up soon though.

On the Slick i really like that the hinges in the ailerons are already done and sealed, very nice. I have the dvd AJ made, "All Things Slick". I'll have to watch it again when setting up my Slick. So far it looks awesome :D :D