• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

48" mxs

gyro

GSN Contributor
I finally maidened my MXS this evening, IN THE RAIN. wasn't none too pleased with the way it handled. Im hope'n that it was the servos. as far as just flying around it was OK. but harrier was a freakin hand full, as was landing and im pretty spot on when it comes to landing. to keep a straight harrier I had to give around 3/4 left stick, my other planes jump a bump of right stick. even at that it was very squirrely, unstable and unpredictable. I was flying nose heavy as I do on all maidens and first 15 flights or so. there is some play on the control surfaces when I try to move them by hand. elevator at center had no play but toward end of throws each way there was quite abit of play. ailerons seem to have alil at center. im gonna get some new servos and try them out. I really hope that's the problem.

the only other 3d I really tried was to hover and a few rollers. hover was pretty easy but I didn't have to be on the sticks all that much. rollers pretty much sucked but I usually have to get used to and really dial in the plane before mine look decent on those. did try a couple elevators but even with extreme throws they didn't drop too much like they should have. idk just hope'n its the servos. kinda sucks, wish my noobular self had somebody I could go to

John, hate to suggest this, but there is something "not right". Lets take this to the MXS thread and figure it out :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
64" mxs exp

Silly question, but did you start over with a whole new slot in your Tx? Any chance there were some old mixes in there working against you?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Have you checked the tail to make sure it was assembled correctly? (Aligned, not twisted, no warping, etc)

Did you have tips on or off?

wedoitall

Have you checked the tail to make sure it was assembled correctly? (Aligned, not twisted, no warping, etc)

Did you have tips on or off?

Gonna check the tail in a few when i get back in the office. I had the tips on. I prolly shoulda checked everything out better when i realized i had to use debonder to get the Emax servos out that came with it. I had the tips on.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gonna check the tail in a few when i get back in the office. I had the tips on. I prolly shoulda checked everything out better when i realized i had to use debonder to get the Emax servos out that came with it. I had the tips on.

Cool, us know what you find. The MXS is much more stable (almost as much as an edge) with the tips off.

I know that having a twist or warp on the elevator, or even having them travel slightly different amounts will cause poor performance in much of the 3D maneuvers.

wedoitall

the tail measurements are pretty square. i forgot to see if it was warped. but i did notice something else as you wll see in the pics. dont know if that would cause some thrust issues or not. trying to not spend that much more money atm if i dont have to, so on the servos should i get new ones, or do you think i could replace the gears? im pretty sure the elevator and at least one of the ailerons need it. also on spinner gap to the cowl, the guy had a nice size gap, more than i use, would that make a difference? i know some of this is probably stupid questions. As i feel kinda stupid not knowing more about plane setups than what i do.

218830_190847217735911_737739102_o.jpg970587_190847357735897_1368797831_n.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
the tail measurements are pretty square. i forgot to see if it was warped. but i did notice something else as you wll see in the pics. dont know if that would cause some thrust issues or not. trying to not spend that much more money atm if i dont have to, so on the servos should i get new ones, or do you think i could replace the gears? im pretty sure the elevator and at least one of the ailerons need it. also on spinner gap to the cowl, the guy had a nice size gap, more than i use, would that make a difference? i know some of this is probably stupid questions. As i feel kinda stupid not knowing more about plane setups than what i do.

View attachment 8821View attachment 8822

Don't apologize or feel stupid. We all learned by asking questions or reading about this stuff.

So the spinner gap will not affect performance like you're experiencing.
However, that firewall looks kinda fishy. Was there a rebuild done? If the front end isn't aligned properly, it could cause the thrust angle to be off, but you could mix that out on your radio.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Any chance something is loose in the bird? This might change both vertical and lateral CG.

Is it consistent in its negative effects? What I mean is: is whatever bad consistently there or is it there and gone again?

I agree that servos could be the problem, I ran HS-55's in a plane once and couldn't control it in 3D I switched to HS-65hb's and it was like a whole different plane. I could not believe the difference that it made.