• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

42" Vyper Bype

Stevo

30cc
Hi Guys, Just getting My blue byper finished up. Trying to figure a place to mount up the speed controller.
Using a castle 75. Kinda tight in there. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Also would you run a bec or right in from the speed controller.
Thanks

Fredriksson

New to GSN!
I have that same Castle Creations 75 amp ESC. I mounted it on the underside of the motor box, not inside the motor box. It fits well and keeps the weight up front to help keep CG. I do not have a picture but just used tie wraps to hold it in place. Lots of air flow there too.

I am not using a separate BEC. The Castle 75 should have no problem handling the servos.

Freddy

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevo

30cc
Thanks!, That's where it will go! What Battery are you running? I have some 2650 4s sky lipos Im going to try in there.
SS

Fredriksson

New to GSN!
This is my first plane using 4S so I had none to begin with. I bought a used Turnigy nano-tech 2200mAh 25C and 2 used Sky LiPo 3300mAh 40C batteries. The 3300's are large and are a tight fit in the Byper. With the Hacker A30-12XL and the APC 15x6E prop static WOT draws 55 amps at 790 watts. With the 3300mAh the AUW of 4.34 lb. calculates to 181 watts/lb. I still get aggressive, unlimited vertical. The 2200mAh LiPo weighs 5 ounces less so AUW drops to 4.03 lbs or 195 watts/lb. Awesome vertical!!

I was going to write how I would be getting some new batteries in the spring but I looked at Hobbypartz.com and they had a good price on the Sky LiPo 2650mAh 40C batteries so I bought 2 of them. Their weight is listed as 11.6oz. so with my set up the system will still give a respectable 185 watts/lb.

I think the 2650's are the way to go. However, others may believe that the 3.7 oz. weight penalty over the 2200's is just too much. I am happy with 185 watts/lb.

Freddy

LanceMc

New to GSN!
I was going to write how I would be getting some new batteries in the spring but I looked at Hobbypartz.com and they had a good price on the Sky LiPo 2650mAh 40C batteries so I bought 2 of them. Their weight is listed as 11.6oz. so with my set up the system will still give a respectable 185 watts/lb.
Freddy

Hi Freddy. Where on the battery tray are you placing these bats to get the CG?

Lance

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
has anyone found any alternatives to the hitec 85/5085 servos yet? I saw a futaba that may do the trick, but cant really find anything else

Fredriksson

New to GSN!
Hi Freddy. Where on the battery tray are you placing these bats to get the CG?

Lance

I have just received the 2650's and have not yet even changed the connectors out to the Dean's yet, let alone flown them in my Byper. However, with my setup the 3300's and the 2200's that I have are centered on the battery tray and that seems to be about right. I only have 4 flights on my plane and I probably need to do some fine tuning with battery placement but it feels pretty close.

Freddy

gyro

GSN Contributor
has anyone found any alternatives to the hitec 85/5085 servos yet? I saw a futaba that may do the trick, but cant really find anything else

There is a Solar servo from hobby partz that is very close in size, and better numbers wise in performance... But it's a inexpensive servo with a short warranty, so I'm hesitant to recommend it. I have one on the rudder of my 48" Super Vyper and its doing well so far, but I've only got about 5 flights.

I have just received the 2650's and have not yet even changed the connectors out to the Dean's yet, let alone flown them in my Byper. However, with my setup the 3300's and the 2200's that I have are centered on the battery tray and that seems to be about right. I only have 4 flights on my plane and I probably need to do some fine tuning with battery placement but it feels pretty close.

Freddy

I thought that the 2650s balanced nicely, and had plenty of juice for a fun flight :)

Last edited by a moderator: