• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

40" EPP Edge 540 Building, Flying, and Questions

maxx4wd

50cc
This plane is a blast in the dark. Just put 4 flights on my lighted one. Love it. What a blast. Got all my knife edge mixes setup as well since I was just too lazy to do it. Just a bit of rudder to aileron. Straight as an arrow now. Wish wife had come out and took some pics but some TV show sucked her in.

I love night flying - I usually just stick on the LED strip lights to a beater foamie and not worry about it but I can definitely see how this airframe would be a blast to night fly...do you use the Aurora Genesis system or something else?

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Is the build quality of these better than the Winners Model planes? I have really enjoyed the WM edge 540 but is built very light (epp tears). This is a good flier but I am tearing it up in flight. Maybe the balsa 41 would be better for this gear? Thanks!

I think I'm on my 5th or 6th EPP edge, they have all been torn up due to multipoint unscheduled landings, I've never managed to tear one up in the air. The EPP will flex/twist a bit at higher speeds though, I think you'll be much happier with the balsa edge if you do a lot of high energy type stuff.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the input. I did not mean to slam the WM planes do to my learning curve on their construction. Sometimes I don't portray my thoughts the best in a post. I have my edge all fixed. I reinforced the problem area. Seems to be good now. How is the strength of the fuse right behind the wing and is the wire gear really soft? Those were my issues with this edge. All easily fixed in the build. The 3DHS version just looks awesome!

XEdge.jpg Fuse is pretty strong, balsa and carbon fiber running down the middle then a layer of epp with a bit more balsa at the bottom. No complaints about the landing gear, the wire holds up quite well. If you smack them up a few times they will get soft and require constant bending but I think that's pretty typical of any wire gear.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Thanks. Thats what i wanted to see. That is where I had the issue with my WM edges. One piece of carbon down the middle. That plane is so close to perfect out of the box. I notice the wood on the bottom too. looks like this edge is slightly heavier built and stronger. I may try one soon as this last edge gives up the ghost.

I have one of these waiting at home for me. I hope that it will be a good practice plane for 3d. I got the omega 72g motor with it and 12 x 6 apc prop, Ice 50 lite ESC, HS-65MG servos with the long 3DHS servo arms, 1300 3S GensAce packs. Does anyone have tips for setup for me to use? I did see the post about checking the wings for twisting.

Thanks,
Dave

SnowDog

this thing goes together pretty fast.

only tip I would suggest is to possibly use some thin CF to reinforce the control surfaces - they seem to flex somewhat at higher speeds...and that little 72g Omega is a powerhouse...don't be fooled by its small size...it will rip that plane around the sky!