• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS New Products and General Plane Info/Help for Fanatics

quadracer

100cc
Being relatively oblivious as to what determines a plane's engine requirements (other than obviously weight and drag), why is the new 92" Edge going to be 50-60cc, when the 103" Extra (only 11" greater wingspan) requires 100cc? Does 11" really produce that much more drag? I realize the fuse is slightly larger too, but it just seems odd to me.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
Being relatively oblivious as to what determines a plane's engine requirements (other than obviously weight and drag), why is the new 92" Edge going to be 50-60cc, when the 103" Extra (only 11" greater wingspan) requires 100cc? Does 11" really produce that much more drag? I realize the fuse is slightly larger too, but it just seems odd to me.
An example I could think of is the 3dhs 48'' edge VS the 51'' slick. on paper it is only a 3'' differences. However when both are sitting next to one another the slick dwarfs the edge, and also requires a much larger motor along with everything else. My guess is it is the same case with this 92'' edge and the 103'' extra.

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
I've seen Bonedoc fly a 119 extra on a DA85. (been informed it was a DLE111, But my mind still says it was a DA85) sorry

Now did it pull out of a hover nope.
was it really lite yep
would I want to have one nope.

Power needed is relative to what you plan on doing with the plane.
Do you need lots of power when doing multiple snaps on an upline yep
or a rolling loop yep

Flying in a circle nope

People fly the 103 on DA85's, do they enjoy it? you'd have to ask them, But after they try a 103 on a DA120, They usually end up with a DA120 shortly after.

SnowDog

Hey everyone, we released the first episode of the new Official 3DHS Podcast:

The 3DHS Podcast #1 - A New 50cc Prototype

Direct Download:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/3dhobbyshop/The_3DHS_Podcast_1_-_A_New_50cc_Prototype.mp3

You can also find and subscribe to the show via itunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/3dhobbyshops-podcast/id578740936

...or you can subscribe directly via the RSS feed:
http://3dhobbyshop.libsyn.com/rss

Moose,

Just listened to the podcast on the way home from work last night and finished up this morning on the way to work. Let me tell you this is GOLD! I really enjoyed the podcast and certainly hope that more podcasts are produced in the future. Having Arron, Ben, and Noll on there made for some very entertaining conversations. Loved the details on the Extra SHB story from Arron, the top 10 list from Ben...wow does he have lots of stories and lots of good information to share!, and the chat with Noll about the production side of things...excited to hear that the 50/60cc Edge may be closer to production more quickly than some other recent projects, which makes sense because it is not a completely new airframe. Really great to have this kind of insight on what the 3DHS folks are thinking! Oh yeah, and the vision of Noll and Wade rowing around in the fuse of a 126 after Hurricane Sandy using the wings as paddles was priceless!

Your style of hosting and the content of this podcast was top notch. Thanks for doing this.
Only thing to mention as a suggestion for improvement is that the audio quality of Arron's conversation was a bit muddled at times.

Gary, perhaps we should start a thread in the Podcast section for this topic?

hosam

70cc twin V2
I just finished listing to the 3DHS podcast as I sit in the delivery room waiting for my wife to deliver our first child… the only thing I can say is, when is the next podcast coming out???? And why isn’t she done yet?!?! just kidding...

It truly was entertaining and loved Ben’s top 10 list… as Jeff (moose) noted, “I always learn something when talking with Ben†I concur 1,000%… Aaron’s and Noll’s comments were awesome …

Noll, what kind of wine were you sharing with Moose????

Manta

70cc twin V2
I just finished listing to the 3DHS podcast as I sit in the delivery room waiting for my wife to deliver our first child… the only thing I can say is, when is the next podcast coming out???? And why isn’t she done yet?!?! just kidding...

It truly was entertaining and loved Ben’s top 10 list… as Jeff (moose) noted, “I always learn something when talking with Ben” I concur 1,000%… Aaron’s and Noll’s comments were awesome …

Noll, what kind of wine were you sharing with Moose????
How is mother and baby??
Congratulations ahead of time!! and yur a sick man on rc threads while having a baby.. WOOT!! Love it :)

hosam

70cc twin V2
IMAG1263.jpgIMAG1265.jpgIMAG1274.jpg

Warring... way off topic...

Fanatics, meet my son... stork dropped him off at 9AM... Rylan Elijah will have a transmitter in his hand by the time his little hands can go around sticks...

How is mother and baby??
Congratulations ahead of time!! and yur a sick man on rc threads while having a baby.. WOOT!! Love it :)

BTW, mom is doing well, thanks Manta... oh and I was bored...