• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC

njswede

150cc
I'm a mild mannered man for the most part, but sometimes... I mean.. Seriously!

So I had a catastrophic motor failure in one of my planes today when I was harriering about 6' off the ground. Not much to do except trying to make the crash as light as possible. You don't fly out of a situation like that when you have virtually no airspeed or altitude.

So this old guy comes up to me and says something like "You know, a dead stick shouldn't have to mean a crash if you know what you're doing. Just fly it out and land". I didn't think that warranted a comment, so I just moved on.

Later in the day, the same guy had some issues with the tuning on his glow plane. He left the plane unrestrained, motor running and nose pointing to the pits. Or more specifically, pointing directly at me. Then he walked over some 150 ft to his buddy, with his transmitter (72MHz mind you) and his back turned to his plane. While he was chatting with his friend, the engine was still running with the nose pointed toward me.

It was one of those situations when you wish Jim Smith was there... :)

dskuro95

100cc
I got in 4 flights on my 87" SHP today! Man oh man that 3d is awesome. I had to deadstick land the first 3 flights. I richened the low end a 1/8 turn and added a little idle too it. Perfect for the 4th flight! I haev an idle down switch so for landing, I flip the switch and the idle is perfect for landing!

Then, on my way home I am driving past a soccer field right along side 80. I see someone starting a plane. I turned around and looked, it was some guy who just got back into the hobby and didn't want to come to field because he wasn't a member(I told him everyone is welcome). He still wanted to fly there instead. Well he has this 25% great planes Edge 540 with a old Fuji 43cc engine on it. He told me that it was a little tail heavy(oh gawd). im and his dad were like harry and llyod fighting with eachother(but add the cursing and smart a$$ remarks). The guy is 28. Anyway so starts telling me how he is a full scale pilot and told me he only lives 15 minutes from me. So he went to same school and all as me. He asked if I was gonna go to college and I told him yes to be a commercial airline pilot. He wound up giving me his phone number and email address and told me he would take me flying and when he gets his instructors permit he will teach me for free!!! Anyway he goes and takes off this edge and the thing is soo tail heavy it was hard to tell if he had control or not. It wound up dying and the plane stalled on him and it just obliterated!!! Hopefully he is a better full scale pilot than R/c! LOL

gyro

GSN Contributor
Here is the video of the one wheel landing

Your link is broken... but interestingly enough, I got to do one of those yesterday with my 87" as well. Pretty good pucker factor... Luckily I had some calming voices at the field to reassure me on my landing approach.