• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 92" Edge 540

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Alright, time to start!

This build log is obviously for the new 3DHS 92" Edge 540, 50/60cc airplane. For our setup, we're going with the following items:

Engine: GP 61cc from www.limitlessaero.com
Servos: HS-9370TH Brushless, Titanium, HV servos from www.hitecrcd.com
Bling: Fuel Dot, Servo Arms, Pull-Pull turnbuckles from www.aztechaeromodels.com
Power: Glacier 2200mAh 2s LiPo Batteries from www.buddyrc.com
Control: Spektrum AR9110 DSMX Power Safe Reciever

Here is the ARF kit spread out:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380472892.454501.jpg

As usual, the covering is well applied, and looks great! Not even a wrinkle to fix :) :)

Unpacked the accessories bag, there is a lot to sort through:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380472984.035979.jpg

Got the fuse on my build stand, and took a minute to admire the fast lines of the fuse design, and peak inside the fuse and canister tunnel:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380473052.802803.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380473078.152780.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380473095.419391.jpg

I noticed immediately how easy it'll be to access the landing gear bolts to tighten them down. :D

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
This is how they fly when your done with assembly

[video=youtube_share;YDldRm2Rtqs]http://youtu.be/YDldRm2Rtqs[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
Always love watching Joe fly :)

Back to the build:

Started with the tailwheel because that's what's first in the manual. So after loosing a few tiller arms over the last season, I'm modifying mine to prevent that from happening again.
I drilled through, and put an extra collar and set screw on it, and also filled a flat part for the main set screw to grip:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380507485.090692.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380507508.689461.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380507541.305952.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380507572.706099.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Time for the main gear: I got the steel axle setup in my vise, and I tried drilling through to install a cotter pin, but all my drill bit did was make the axle mad...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380518246.713188.jpg

So instead I just sanded a flat spot and tightened the set screw the best I could.
For me, some mini needle nose vise grips worked good to hold the gear bolt for tightening.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380518330.611941.jpg

One boot needed new holes drilled, as the pre-drilled ones weren't lined up. Got the cooling cutouts done, and main gear installed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380518360.995262.jpg

SupaTim

70cc twin V2
Congrats on grabbing one while they were around. I love the white but looks like I'll have to wait for the next batch. Any chance you can measure the width of the cowl just behind the inlets or widest spot? Thinking of a twin under the hood...

Av8r RC

50cc
Time for the main gear: I got the steel axle setup in my vise, and I tried drilling through to install a cotter pin, but all my drill bit did was make the axle mad...
View attachment 17129

I never could get a hand drill to go thru those steel shafts. But as soon as I threw it up on my drill press at work it went thru like butter. You just can't get enough force with a hand drill.

Lookin' good

gyro

GSN Contributor
Congrats on grabbing one while they were around. I love the white but looks like I'll have to wait for the next batch. Any chance you can measure the width of the cowl just behind the inlets or widest spot? Thinking of a twin under the hood...

Widest spot appears to be 27cm

I never could get a hand drill to go thru those steel shafts. But as soon as I threw it up on my drill press at work it went thru like butter. You just can't get enough force with a hand drill.

Lookin' good

Yeah, I figured. My hand drill probably isn't spinning at the optimum rpm either, and who knows if I'm even using the right still bit.
Time to read Ben's drilling article again :)

And then....

And then I started on the control horns....

Status
Not open for further replies.