• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 89 slick

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well... Maybe not. Seconding flight after the tune up, she died on me over the lake:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878571.369919.jpg
Took me about. 40 min to get to her, and another 30 to get her out.
Damage wasn't severe, and Humberto thinks she's easily repairable.
We'll see... :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878668.302919.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878686.219666.jpg

njswede

150cc
Dude! That really sucks! You know I know how crappy that feeling is. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. How did the engine fare?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Engine was fine, field stripped it, drained the water, and covered it in penetrating oil (thanks Frank and Humberto!).
Cowl survived also, just isn't perfect anymore, definitely serviceable.
Going to take the opportunity to put the bowman ring in while the motor is off and disassemble. Looks like she'll be ready for late winter, early spring flying.

If Frank hadn't been there with his inflatable raft, she'd have been lost.

Both the Smartfly board, and the receivers and telemetry system got wet.
Should I send them in for inspection or just let it all dry out?

-G

wedoitall

i had a brake failure on my 1/5 scale baja it ran in a creek , it was fully submerged in 4 ft. of water. i did the same as you did and field stripped down the motor and used oil. my big worries were the electronics. you can use wd-40. if you dont believe me go to their website i sprayed the electronics down with wd-40 then i took a zip lock bag filled it about halfway with rice(can do same witha wet cell phone) and put my reciever, servos, killswitch etc. in with rice and let sit for a couple of days. that was over a year ago and all electronics still working perfectly. i was really worried at first cause in that baggy i had about $500 dollars worth of electrics. oh btw the wd in wd-40 stands for water dissplacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8r RC

50cc
Oh No! I hope it all fixes up easily and none of your electronics are bad.

Does that happen enough that someone brings a raft with them to the field?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Oh No! I hope it all fixes up easily and none of your electronics are bad.

Does that happen enough that someone brings a raft with them to the field?

Lol, yeah, sadly. FlyingFranke keeps one in his truck :) I've been here for 3 months, and at the field a handful of times, and I've seen it go out twice now!

Drew

70cc twin V2
Another one goes swimming, damn, sorry Gary. The damage doesnt look to bad. Im going to Wall-mart this week and getting a pump and raft to keep in the Tahoe, although Frank is ALWAYS out there flying....lol

My theory is if you bring a raft, you won't need it! But I'm happy my raft has helped save a couple of other people's airplanes now!