• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 89 slick

Av8r RC

50cc
Craig,

I will be finishing up my DA60 install tonight.

The 60 does come with some laser cut plywood spacers. (or atleast it came with mine from TroyBuiltModels). I unfortunately have mixed them together with the ones I got from the planes previous owner. I can try to figure out which are the used ones and which are the new, if you want to know how much spacing they provide.

Since I'm a machinist, I fashioned up my own aluminum one. Vey similar to the one you can get from 3DHS (Blazing Star Products ). That one says it's 1.5". I made mine 41mm (1.614"), which gave me a 5mm (0.197") gap (pretty sure, I'll double check when I get home).

If you made your stand-offs 1.5", it should provide a 0.1" gap.

And yes there is some odd washer and bolt fitting with the 60. I'll get some pics tonight when I get home. Not sure if there are/were any blind nuts pre-installed on the firewall, as mine is second hand.

Also I'm not sure it makes a difference, probably not. But mine is the FB version. Not sure if the cowl is the same as the newest version, but most likely is.

Attachments

• CAM00123.jpg
    CAM00123.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 237

Cmala

70cc twin V2
Looks nice.

I appreciate the info.

We are going with a 1.5" standoff since that's the size of the mount that 3DHS sells. It sounds like that will work based on your info as well.

I'm still looking for the distance from the DA60 mounting holes on the left side to the washers. it looks like the one on the top left might cause some intereference. This is on the front of the firewall.

Also, the distance from the mounting holes to the metal bracket on the inside of the firewall, also on the left side. if I supply blind nuts, it looks like maybe the two on the left might need to be modified slightly in order to fit.

Thanks
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8r RC

50cc
My apologies on the late reply. I got really busy the last few days.

Here are some pics of my set-up. The mount I made is the exact width of the DA 60. On the upper right screw I had to swap out the M3 washer with a 4-40 washer cause it was just a fraction smaller on the OD.

When looking at the inside of the motor box. I would have to advise against blind nuts. The right side mounting bolts (when looking at the front), are just too close to the aluminum brackets on the inside of the box. I used 1/4-20 bolts to mount mine up, although M6's would work just as good. The approx distance, center to center, between the motor bolt hole to the upper right motor box screw is 0.375.

DSC01360.jpgDSC01361.jpgDSC01362.jpgDSC01363.jpgDSC01364.jpg

Av8r RC

50cc
Got to maiden my slick this weekend. All went pretty well, except for the landing. Since this was a used plane, I didn't check the wheels. They looked fairly well worn.

On my first low pass, about 5 ft up, my right side wheel comes off and goes bouncing down the runway. Luckily I had a experienced flier standing next to me the whole time. Gave me a few tips on how to land it. On the first real attempt,I bounced it off the one wheel and aborted. On the next attempt, brought her in nice and gentle, touched the runway, and gave it full left aile to keep the missing wheel side of the lg off the pavement. But accidentally gave it a bump of throttle, while careening towards the grass. Thankfully luck was with me. As I hit the grass I had killed enough speed that when the lg hit the grass it started to nose over. The prop did strike the ground, but you would never know it if you looked at it. Not bad for my first ever gas plane landing.

So before I take off for the second flight. We take off both wheels, grind a flat on both axles, and locktite the collars. We make a slight tunning adjustment, and I'm off. Its running better so I'm doing some hammerheads, ke's and inverted passes. Well somewhere along the way the left wheel now comes off. I mean really, what are the chances. So hear I go, on my second gas plane landing I am again landing with one wheel. This time it was almost prefect. A light touchdown on the runway. Full right aile, hit the kill switch and coast to a stop. Almost perfect.

3rd flight went off without a hitch, thanks to a fellow flyer who had a spare wheel.

Here's a video I took with my cell off a TV someone had in their trailer. Sorry for the crappy quality.
[video=youtube_share;Z550kv33qdc]http://youtu.be/Z550kv33qdc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Glad to hear your flights were somewhat successful, and didn't require any major post flight repairs. I remember the first time I flew my 89, and it was also my first ever flight in a gasser, so I was very nervous as well!

Av8r RC

50cc
Funny thing was this was the first maiden I've had where wasn't terribly nervous. No shaking or anything. lol Untill that wheel came off. Started to get a little nervous then.

If it wasn't such a great airplane, virtually lands itself, it could have been a VERY different story.

gyro

GSN Contributor
WOW! FlyingFranke helped me tune my DLE55 today, and my 89" is running like a whole new plane!
If/when I sell it, it'll be really hard to let go of it now.
Now I just need to get a Falcon 23x8 for it!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353871346.873101.jpg