• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 87" Extra 300 SHP

joshgluck

100cc
I don't have enough time or experience to be able to tell you. I will soon though as I now own 2x35s, a 55 and a 60 twin ;-)

Jamesrini flies dle maybe he can chime in.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
For the Ohio and Texas flyers I have been toying with the idea of selling my 87" Extra but the only reason I have not yet listed it is I fear I will at some point might regret it. I fly my 60" size planes almost every day because of flying right at work. I never have the time in the evenings to travel to our club field to fly my gasser. I am not really listing it but did want to reach out to to both groups because I travel back to Ohio a lot and some of those times are driving. My thoughts are to take that extra money and put it into more 60" size planes.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Thanks Gary,

AV8r RC I will PM you tomorrow. Nice to see that you are in Dallas that would be close. Do you know Jeff Stykes, he knows this plane

I must say this is my favorite airplane to date! Haven't stopped flying it since I put it together. Just an all around excellent aircraft. Mine has a da60 spinning a falcon 24x9 and its juuuuust right. My only issue is even with all electronics pushed forward it still needed 6.5 oz of nose weight to achieve a cg still behind the recommended point. It drops slightly when inverted like I prefer. This most likely is due to me not using a dedicated ignition battery up front, not running an 8 ounce pitts style muffler, and using light dual a123 1100 packs. I'm looking into mounting them up under the cowl or even inside the motor box if possible in order to take off some of the ballast, not that notices the weight...

7955s
Wolverine switch running/sharing epbuddy a123 1100mah batts
Fortitude tank
Techaero ibec
Jr921 rx
Rcextremepower side dump muffler (über light and hasn't cracked in 300 flight)

I flew an 89 slick for three seasons but never felt as comfortable as I did with the Extra even on its maiden flight. Photos from my flying buddy Tim.

35f8b9e1c8993b6835252c6501e3836a.jpg

2738aaded9600b63e0d298b4fa1b1ac8.jpg

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Stitz those light dual a123 1100 packs might be your problem why you need the nose weight along with the über light muffler. I am using two 2600 A123's from EP Buddy and I have a J-Tec Pitts on my DA-60 and balance came out perfect. All I had to do was slide the 123's around till it was right.

Stitz those light dual a123 1100 packs might be your problem why you need the nose weight along with the über light muffler. I am using two 2600 A123's from EP Buddy and I have a J-Tec Pitts on my DA-60 and balance came out perfect. All I had to do was slide the 123's around till it was right.

Yep. If I remember right the jtec large Pitts I had on my 89 was 11 ounces. I believe even the smaller one was 8+. My muffler is 3! Two 2500s (about 6 ounces a piece) would work for sure. Looking into that or just running 2s lipos.

Mike

gyro

GSN Contributor
I must say this is my favorite airplane to date! Haven't stopped flying it since I put it together. Just an all around excellent aircraft.

I flew an 89 slick for three seasons but never felt as comfortable as I did with the Extra even on its maiden flight. Photos from my flying buddy Tim.

Mike

I agree about liking this plane better than the 89. I also had the 89, and while I felt very comfy with it, I liked some of the maneuverability better on the 87. At the same time, I also feel like the 87 can bite you a little bit more if you're not careful.
Mine seems balanced perfectly for me (pinch of nose up inverted) with the EME60 up front, a pair of 2s 2600 lipos, and a heavy 23x10 CF prop.

Looking forward to flying her again this Sunday, its been over two months since I've had her out!