• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Lost my Velox yesterday when the canopy came off, batteries exited due to negative g's and straight into the ground. 2nd time for the canopy failure but as it would happen I was flying level instead of doing a reverse Immelman. I had it taped together too. Bad design, should have been screwed down. I'm not the first and probably won't be the last. Be forewarned!! Supposed to have been fixed on 2nd shipment but wasn't. My bad.

Dwayne:facepalm:

Oh Nooooooooooooo! So sorry to hear that.

We had a ton of 68 Velox ejections. We modified the canopy with bolts. The 70 just had them bring the cowling farther back as to give more of a lip to secure it, but the latch is still not a great deal. Everytime it happened though we managed to get the plane home. Battery ejections is why I love Powerpoles with the clip as that has saved me more times than I care to admit.

Ok guys just finishing up my 70"Velox with a DLE 20. Got a couple questions after reading much of this thread . I am running 2 elevator servos and plan on pull pull rudder setup my question is with A123 2300 batt mounted about 4 " behind firewall ign mounted inside fuse adjacent Batt and using a Dubro 12 0z tank it seems to balance neutral at the rear edge of the tube. Is that about the right balance point for maiden . I do some 3d stuff but mostly combination of pattern and hovering ect. Also about the canopy issue I assume I got one of the newer planes purchased in November 2014 blue and white version. Why do you feel the canopys are coming off? Cowl and canopy don't fit worth a darn without some mods and I don't understand why the canopys are flying off . Is it because of a bad latch setup mine seems to work ok and the pin goes all the way thru the hole. Is their to much pressure in the fuse causing this maybe ?? Just feel like I am going to bolt the canopy down after reading the problems. Any info to help before maiden I would appreciate.

ryan_m

100cc
On a gas setup I would bolt the canopy down. If not, at least make sure the pin is fully engaged and comes all the way through the canopy hole, sticking out a bit. Sometimes you have to grab the pin with needlenose pliers and GENTLY pull the pin forward so that it has more engagement. Don't pop the whole latch assembly off though. The pin should slide forward a bit with some assistance on the pliers.

As for balance, I usually like the front of the wing tube more. Using one elevator servo it wouldn't have been a problem... I fly mine hard. Never had a problem with the single elevator servo and joiner combo. I use a Hitec HS-7955 on it.
Maybe try mounting the ignition on the outside of the motor box to get it a tiny bit more forward? I wouldn't have any concerns flying the plane with the CG where you have it, but I bet you'll like it better with the CG moved forward a bit.

Ok thanks for the info I think I can move some things around and achieve the balance point you mentioned. I forgor to add the aluminum spinner when checking the cg. I think I will bolt my canopy on to be on the safe side . I looked at a Extreme Flight 78" plane at the field this summer and they had a neat deal and used 2 Quick release hatch set ups one on each side of the canopy and fuse sides. I am not knocking 3d hobbyshop planes I also own a Slick 89 " but for the price they charge on their planes there are some areas of improvement on some minor issues that could be improved on like for example the way the canopy and hatch don't fit real well on the Velox without a few minor adjustments. They are great flying planes though and since I live in the Midwest it will be at least March before we can get out and do some flying. Last year it wasn't until Late April before the winds and weather got right to fly. Thanks again for your reply. I have been flying giant scale for 25 plus years but we all can ask and use some good advice sometimes.

Yea I would imagine with the huge control surfaces on the rear it would be a little pitchy / I will for sure set mine up as you guys are saying I can always move cg back as I get use to the plane. Thanks