• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

ryan_m

100cc
Does the rimfire have the power you are talking about also the rimfire would be ok with a talon 90
On 6s, which the Rimfire is definitely a 6s motor, no, a 90 amp ESC won't cut it. It will make an easy 2200 watts, as will the Motrolfly, which is pushing 100 amps. I would go with at least a 110 amp model personally.
These work well, and are inexpensive:
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...eries-125a-brushless-esc-w-8a-adjustable-sbec

http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-Gecko-Series-125A-SBEC-8A-p/g-ztw125asbec.htm

Also, like Gary said, I would choose the Motrolfly over the Rimfire. Back when I bought the Rimfire I had they were only 100 bucks. I didn't realize the price had gone up that much! I just mounted a rimfire to a Velox for a buddy of mine, and you have to fill not only the stock blind nut holes, but the electric motor box extension mounting holes as the Rimfire x-mount is quite large. The Motrolfly isn't quite so big and is easier to mount.

Are the "stock" firewall holes for a Hacker? I was looking at one of the new A50 series before I found that 26cc gasser.
Yes, stock holes are for a Hacker, and power would be less than the Motrolfly or Rimfire, probably 1800 watts or so. Which is what used to be the common setup on the 70-72" planes when they were first designed 4-5 years back.

thanks

Thanks everyone. What are the flight times with motrofly

On 6s, which the Rimfire is definitely a 6s motor, no, a 90 amp ESC won't cut it. It will make an easy 2200 watts, as will the Motrolfly, which is pushing 100 amps. I would go with at least a 110 amp model personally.
These work well, and are inexpensive:
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...eries-125a-brushless-esc-w-8a-adjustable-sbec

http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-Gecko-Series-125A-SBEC-8A-p/g-ztw125asbec.htm

Also, like Gary said, I would choose the Motrolfly over the Rimfire. Back when I bought the Rimfire I had they were only 100 bucks. I didn't realize the price had gone up that much! I just mounted a rimfire to a Velox for a buddy of mine, and you have to fill not only the stock blind nut holes, but the electric motor box extension mounting holes as the Rimfire x-mount is quite large. The Motrolfly isn't quite so big and is easier to mount.

Yes, stock holes are for a Hacker, and power would be less than the Motrolfly or Rimfire, probably 1800 watts or so. Which is what used to be the common setup on the 70-72" planes when they were first designed 4-5 years back.

ryan_m

100cc
I have the same setup as Gary, and on my 6s5300's I usually run about 6:50 and put back in anywhere from 3700-4200 depending on the day and my mood and how my flying style changes as a result.

Manta

70cc twin V2
Does the rimfire have the power you are talking about also the rimfire would be ok with a talon 90

Paulieb1979. welcome to the site! For the velox the motrolfly 4325-380 or 400 on 6s 5000 with 19x8 or 19x10 should knock your socks off. I have flown a few with that setup and loved it. Thats a killer airframe too man congrats on your choice.

so many choice

Oh man so many choices I did not think it was going to be like this. Would that power setup still give me 6 mins and how hard will that be on the packs.

Paulieb1979. welcome to the site! For the velox the motrolfly 4325-380 or 400 on 6s 5000 with 19x8 or 19x10 should knock your socks off. I have flown a few with that setup and loved it. Thats a killer airframe too man congrats on your choice.

Manta

70cc twin V2
i flew mine 6 min,yes.. not bad on packs. i tested several winds but settled on the 380 for my liking. Will huck the velox just fine

ryan_m

100cc
Oh man so many choices I did not think it was going to be like this. Would that power setup still give me 6 mins and how hard will that be on the packs.
I think possibly a better question is what style your flying is? Do you like low and slow close in 3d with lots of harriers, hovers, rollers and such? Or do you like high speed tumbles, pop tops, fast knife edge passes more?
The higher kv's (425-450) suit themselves more to the second, faster style flying. The lower ones (380-400) swing bigger props and give a better thrust/power that do low/slow/stalled 3d better.
My overall favorite is the 4325-425, though it's a custom wind I think and might cost a bit more. But it lets you choose between both, with an 18x10 the plane is very fast in the air and does fast stuff well, or you can prop with a 19x8 and have a really nice low/slow 3d plane. So for me that motor is perfect and lets me choose both styles. Though in all honesty the 18x10 does a very nice job on low/slow 3d and I've never wanted to swap to the 19x8 prop.

I think just about all the motors are going to give you at least 6 minutes flight time unless you keep the throttle pegged all the time. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like a happy medium. I mean this is my first big plane and not sure what I would like more. I really like both but if I had to choose I would like more snappy and fast. But I really want to learn hovering.

I think possibly a better question is what style your flying is? Do you like low and slow close in 3d with lots of harriers, hovers, rollers and such? Or do you like high speed tumbles, pop tops, fast knife edge passes more?
The higher kv's (425-450) suit themselves more to the second, faster style flying. The lower ones (380-400) swing bigger props and give a better thrust/power that do low/slow/stalled 3d better.
My overall favorite is the 4325-425, though it's a custom wind I think and might cost a bit more. But it lets you choose between both, with an 18x10 the plane is very fast in the air and does fast stuff well, or you can prop with a 19x8 and have a really nice low/slow 3d plane. So for me that motor is perfect and lets me choose both styles. Though in all honesty the 18x10 does a very nice job on low/slow 3d and I've never wanted to swap to the 19x8 prop.

I think just about all the motors are going to give you at least 6 minutes flight time unless you keep the throttle pegged all the time. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.