• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

gyro

GSN Contributor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387152637.134511.jpg
Flew the Velox today, was PERFECT on the maiden except 2 clicks of elevator.
Best maiden on any plane yet.
No mixing at all for KE, was very pleased.

Running the 18x10 on 6s 5000mah packs with the motrolfly 4325-420, performance was ballistic. Couldn't ask for a better motor for this airplane.

Total of 3 flights today, got 6 minutes per flight.
What a blast.

ryan_m

100cc
Were you able to get the wicked pop tops out of it that mine likes to do?
I love that motor on the Velox... that plane is a beast with it. Got your old 87" SHP up in the air today too. Went to a different field than normal and flew up there with some friends. BryanB was there (standing next to me in this pic). The 87 performed well, engine ran perfect without even touching the needles on it. Had two nice long 10-12 minute flights. Sure do love that about gas planes!
87_shp.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yes, the timing for entry is slightly different from my 72 Extra, but I was definitely feeling the energy.

87" looks good, I miss it, but I know it's getting well taken care of! Great picture :D

Hi guys I am new here. But I am getting this plane for christmas from the wife. Has anyone tried the E-flight power 60 470kv I flew a few planes I do have a lot of experiance with helicopters but wanted a nice plane also.

ryan_m

100cc
What kind of flying characteristics are you looking for? That motor is on the smaller side of normal these days. But normal has become rather overpowered too. That Eflite 470kv motor has a pretty high kv (470), which translates to it spinning a smaller prop. Most of us like an 18" or 19" prop on this plane in order for it to have a decent 3d ability. The 400kv version of that motor would be better suited to that. You could turn an 18x8 on the 400kv version, but with the 470 you are limited to a 17x7 it looks like.
Also that motor is rated for around 1700 watts, many of us are running 2200 or so these days. However when this plane first came out a Scorpion 4025-12 was a recommended motor, and it was a very very similar size to the Eflite one. They rated it at 2000 watts, but that was optimistic at best. It was really closer to a 1700 watt motor too. The Eflite would probably make for a decent sport flying motor at the 470kv, the 400kv version would be ok for 3d on the plane, though your power wouldn't be massively overpowered as seems to be the norm these days.

If you want lots of power take a look at the Motrolfly 4325 series motor sold by subsonicplanes.com
It's a fantastic match for the plane. I've run the 380kv, 425kv, and 450kv on mine. I prefer the 425 personally, though it depends on your flying style as to which you might like best. Another good option is the Rimfire 120. Though you will need to modify the firewall slightly with any of these motors (including the Eflite one probably). It's not hard, take a look a few posts up and Gyro shows you what he did on his.

rimfire

Does the rimfire have the power you are talking about also the rimfire would be ok with a talon 90

What kind of flying characteristics are you looking for? That motor is on the smaller side of normal these days. But normal has become rather overpowered too. That Eflite 470kv motor has a pretty high kv (470), which translates to it spinning a smaller prop. Most of us like an 18" or 19" prop on this plane in order for it to have a decent 3d ability. The 400kv version of that motor would be better suited to that. You could turn an 18x8 on the 400kv version, but with the 470 you are limited to a 17x7 it looks like.
Also that motor is rated for around 1700 watts, many of us are running 2200 or so these days. However when this plane first came out a Scorpion 4025-12 was a recommended motor, and it was a very very similar size to the Eflite one. They rated it at 2000 watts, but that was optimistic at best. It was really closer to a 1700 watt motor too. The Eflite would probably make for a decent sport flying motor at the 470kv, the 400kv version would be ok for 3d on the plane, though your power wouldn't be massively overpowered as seems to be the norm these days.

If you want lots of power take a look at the Motrolfly 4325 series motor sold by subsonicplanes.com
It's a fantastic match for the plane. I've run the 380kv, 425kv, and 450kv on mine. I prefer the 425 personally, though it depends on your flying style as to which you might like best. Another good option is the Rimfire 120. Though you will need to modify the firewall slightly with any of these motors (including the Eflite one probably). It's not hard, take a look a few posts up and Gyro shows you what he did on his.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hi guys I am new here. But I am getting this plane for christmas from the wife. Has anyone tried the E-flight power 60 470kv I flew a few planes I do have a lot of experiance with helicopters but wanted a nice plane also.

Hi Paulie, welcome to the site!

While I haven't tried the power 60, I did try the nearly identical size/weight, but more powerful motrolfly, (4320-500) on the eflite beast 60e (which recommends the power 60), and it wasn't enough power for my taste. Totally adequate, but I love absurd power!

For the rimfire, I just think that if you're spending the $140 or so, why not spend a couple bucks more and get a motrolfly that can handle more watts and be custom wound for whatever size prop/LiPo combo you want to use?

If you haven't looked yet, check out www.subsonicplanes.com, or send a message to [MENTION=8]Manta[/MENTION] and he'll help you out.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2

i put that motor on the 60e beast. i just flat out dont like it. i am running it with the talon 90, and i dont know if it is the talon or the motor (very much leaning towards the motor) but i would definitely go motrolfly (4320 is great, thats what i have on mine)

Are the "stock" firewall holes for a Hacker? I was looking at one of the new A50 series before I found that 26cc gasser.

I use 6s 5000 lipos for my helis and want to keep it simple so that is my lipo of choice. I want the plane to be powerful but I don't want to fly for 4 mins I am hoping for at least 6 mins. Is the extra cost of the motrofly worth it and how big of a diffrence will it be then the rimfire.

Hi Paulie, welcome to the site!

While I haven't tried the power 60, I did try the nearly identical size/weight, but more powerful motrolfly, (4320-500) on the eflite beast 60e (which recommends the power 60), and it wasn't enough power for my taste. Totally adequate, but I love absurd power!

For the rimfire, I just think that if you're spending the $140 or so, why not spend a couple bucks more and get a motrolfly that can handle more watts and be custom wound for whatever size prop/LiPo combo you want to use?

If you haven't looked yet, check out www.subsonicplanes.com, or send a message to [MENTION=8]Manta[/MENTION] and he'll help you out.