• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

gyro

GSN Contributor
Getting closer!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363315441.718693.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, should have left well enough alone...was trying to set myself up for success, and was putting a bowman ring into the DLE-20. Broke the DLE ring pulling it out, no biggie right? Well, I put the bowman ring in upside down... damn it... oh well, pull it out and turn it around. Nope! Broke that one too pulling it out.

Off to send Frank some more money...

robj

70cc twin V2
Bummer...but directions? the dle piston is pinned, ring only goes in one way. also a bevel on the top side to catch some compression.

A ring expander is out there, but really to big for this small of a ring. two thumbs and just open enough to get it over, and try to keep it flat while expanding.

Yeah, I use to do this for a living a long time ago. People use to ask....how to you know the feel when tightening stuff...i'd say tighten it slowly..just a little less than when it breaks....it's a feel thing. :)

you'll get it. I need to do my dle55.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Bummer...but directions? the dle piston is pinned, ring only goes in one way. also a bevel on the top side to catch some compression.

A ring expander is out there, but really to big for this small of a ring. two thumbs and just open enough to get it over, and try to keep it flat while expanding.

Yeah, I use to do this for a living a long time ago. People use to ask....how to you know the feel when tightening stuff...i'd say tighten it slowly..just a little less than when it breaks....it's a feel thing. :)

you'll get it. I need to do my dle55.

Thanks Rob... I learn the hard way sometimes! It actually goes "in" both ways... but I had the pin bevels upside down. Stuff happens! Started building my SHP to cheer me up! :)

robj

70cc twin V2
Maybe the 20 is a little different. On the dirt bikes I use to work on the pin was centered. The ring could go eitherway. A quick look at the dle55 ring and the pin is offset, so the ring can only go on one way. On the diesel engines I use to rebuild all the rings were free floating, no pins.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maybe the 20 is a little different. On the dirt bikes I use to work on the pin was centered. The ring could go eitherway. A quick look at the dle55 ring and the pin is offset, so the ring can only go on one way. On the diesel engines I use to rebuild all the rings were free floating, no pins.

Yep, it's offset like the 55, that's what bit me. :(

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Well, should have left well enough alone...was trying to set myself up for success, and was putting a bowman ring into the DLE-20. Broke the DLE ring pulling it out, no biggie right? Well, I put the bowman ring in upside down... damn it... oh well, pull it out and turn it around. Nope! Broke that one too pulling it out.

Off to send Frank some more money...

Gary, sorry to hear this... :sadface: I always find it so fascinating that a tiny piece can make or break (no pun intended) a build. I especially hate it when it is literally a $0.20 fuel-T! After you get that ring I hope it all comes together for you quickly!

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Noob to gas question: What does the Bowman ring gain you on the DLE? Is it better compression? Dad and I were trying to understand how a different ring could improve performance.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Noob to gas question: What does the Bowman ring gain you on the DLE? Is it better compression? Dad and I were trying to understand how a different ring could improve performance.

That is exactly what it does... It's made from a different metal the DLE ring, and seals better against the piston, increasing compression. While I know the motor was working, (just not perfectly) when you sold it to me, I really wanted to try and set it up for the best chance of success!

-G