• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 60cc Yak-55

zmonster97

That gyro is awesome! Super easy to set up and flies great. I am working on a quick swappable plate system to make it easy to swap the Cortex over to different airframes. I'm going to cut the prototypes from G10 this week.

Yak is gonna get the new Motrolfly 5335 175 kv. I talked to Ken the other day and he suggested the new wind on a 24x12. I ordered the motor, so hopefully I'll get it this week. The airframe should be delivered on Tuesday, and I ordered 4 Hitec HS-7954SH servos from Chief Aircraft.

I'm going with a ZTW Gecko 150 ESC, and probably Hitec HS-7956SHR rudder servo. I need to order those this week. Not sure on the power dist. board yet. I need to read up on the Spektrum AR9110 to see if I need/want to go that route. This is the biggest plane I've done so far so I'm wading into unknown waters for me.

Xoar 24x10 and 24x12 to start on the props. Hardware, servo arms, etc. to be decided. I was hoping to get it flying by next weekend (I have the week off), but that's probably not gonna happen.

I may start a build thread here... The Poor Yak isn't getting a whole lotta love yet...

I highly recommend that you use the AR9110. It works great and is one of the simplest ways to set up a plane this size with a good power distribution system.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Good advice Zach!

Another idea to consider is using one of the awesome [MENTION=1155]Fromeco[/MENTION] Wolverine switches and an AR9010 receiver. I think total cost is similar, and I like the dual battery switches with charging jacks and lights.

This way, you can instantly see if one of your batteries is dead, and you can do that with the AR9110 unless it's powered on, and you plug in one battery, then disconnect it and plug in the other, then reconnect the first.

zmonster97

That will work too. But like I said, I like the simplicity of the ar9110. And I also use telemetry so I can see the rx voltage which is the voltage of the rx batteries.

gyro

GSN Contributor
That will work too. But like I said, I like the simplicity of the ar9110. And I also use telemetry so I can see the rx voltage which is the voltage of the rx batteries.

Yeah, the AR9110 is definitively simpler.

Fwiw, I use telemetry on all my rx packs as well. You can do it with any spektrum rx.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
If you haven't listened to the entire Yak 55 podcast episode, here is a new product video with Ben telling us all about the 91 Yak.
Thanks to Joe and family for the media to make this video possible.
Everyone, please link/share this video when someone has questions about the 91 Yaks. You'll hear everything directly from Ben while Joseph Smith does the flying.

[video=youtube_share;VWaX-P-GEXI]http://youtu.be/VWaX-P-GEXI[/video]

Tim H.

50cc
Making progress on the Yak! I added some red pin striping and I think it really adds to the color scheme. :banana:

IMG_8669 (Copy).JPG

IMG_8670 (Copy).JPG

IMG_8672 (Copy).JPG