• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 60cc Yak-55

Tim H.

50cc
I'm finally getting around to writing a bit on the first day of flying. First off, it is an outstanding airframe! That, said, on with the details...

First flight was fairly uneventful, other than the gusty wind. I would estimate it was a consistent 10-15kts at least with much higher gusts. It was supposed to be a fairly calm day. Oh well... I used a 24x10 on the first 2 flights just to be sure I wasn't taxing the power combo too much. Power was excellent and I had my timer set for 5.5 min. Packs and motor came down warm, but not hot.

I didn't really get a chance to do more than basic trimming as it was very gusty above the tree line. I only needed a few clicks of up and right aileron to get it to track straight. CG was at factory recommended location. I did a few loops, rolls, harriers, walls, stall turns and such just to get a feel for the plane on low rates and high rates. Tracking was right on and it was very smooth and responsive. Pullout from hover was more than adequate even late in the flight. I greased the landing...

Second flight, more of the same but got a bit more aggressive with the control inputs. CG was still conservative. No bad habits. Landing wasn't as good. It was very gusty and I flared a bit high. The tail wheel came down first and drove the mains in. I bounced it and broke the Xoar PJN 24x10. No other damage other than the prop.

Third flight was very short. I changed props to the PJN 24x12, taxied out, took off and immediately notice a vibration at above 3/4 throttle. I landed and determined that one of the cowl screws had come loose. I fixed it and took off again. Power with the 24x12 was noticeably better. Pullout from hover was outstanding! More than happy! Flight time was a bit shorter as I was more aggressive and pulling more amps with the new prop.

I was still getting a bit of vibration from the cowl, but reasonable. I balanced the spinner, but not the 24x12. I just used it out of the package. I'm going to fine tune the prop balance and look at where the cowl may be vibrating. I left the 2 bottom screws off in case I needed to take the cowl off at the field so I'm pretty sure it's from that.

Overall I am thrilled with the performance of the plane and the 175kv Motrolfly 5335. Definitely a winning combo with the 24x10 or the 24x12. I'm going to try a Vess when I order new props. I also ordered 2 Glacier 6s 5800mAh packs (they should arrive today). My 5000mAh packs are fine, but a bit more flight time will be nice.

It's been windy over 25-30 kts all week so I haven't been able to fly this week at all. It's my luck... When I'm off, it's windy. When I'm gone for work, It's great... Anyway, Friday may be flyable so I'll try the new packs and try to get some trimming done. I have video, but I need to edit it and post it.

Cheers!

Video

[video=youtube_share;g-gRr5p4B-o]http://youtu.be/g-gRr5p4B-o[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Should have my 91" Yak sometime next week. Got some other birds in the build queue, but look forward to getting this one built and flying.

Was originally planning on using the Motrolfly 5335, but I decided to order a GP61 instead. I like how well it powered my 92" edge that I couldn't resist the obscene power and long flight times.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Should have my 91" Yak sometime next week. Got some other birds in the build queue, but look forward to getting this one built and flying.

Was originally planning on using the Motrolfly 5335, but I decided to order a GP61 instead. I like how well it powered my 92" edge that I couldn't resist the obscene power and long flight times.

Good choice! Just make sure you tighten the cowl bolts REAL tight, use loctite and double check them between flights as I said yesterday. Here is what happened to a friend of mine on sat. It was his maiden day. He put 4 or 5 flights in and was loving it. Then we both noticed a weird noise during a rolling harrier. He landed right away and killed the power as quickly as he could :-(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400507835.777114.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400507858.157401.jpg

Tim H.

50cc
Good choice! Just make sure you tighten the cowl bolts REAL tight, use loctite and double check them between flights as I said yesterday. Here is what happened to a friend of mine on sat. It was his maiden day. He put 4 or 5 flights in and was loving it. Then we both noticed a weird noise during a rolling harrier. He landed right away and killed the power as quickly as he could :-(

Ouch... I check my cowl now. I had mine come loose too. No damage, but terrible noise...

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Ouch... I check my cowl now. I had mine come loose too. No damage, but terrible noise...

Ya we were all sick to our stomachs when we saw that damage! He had it repaired, painted and new prop on in a couple days. The plane just seems to have hardly any bad behaviors at all! Very nice plane.