• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D printer from Dremel

WMcNabb

150cc
Okay Sleepy. We need a "primer" on 3D printers. Maybe a new "sticky" thread. What to look for, what to avoid, features, software, hardware, etc. As an example the 0.001" tolerance on the rails.........that's good to know and makes perfect sense.

Agreed! Having insight from an industry professional would be most valuable.

Mikeq

150cc
impatient-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

SleepyC

150cc
At $499 this one seem like the bargin of the century. Check out the video.
@SleepyC please give us your opinion.

http://www.uscutter.com/Phoenix-3D-Printer-EZ3D

I can tell you , that thing would make you miserable.

We make as in actually make our whole printer (except motors, bearings and rails) in house with CNC machines to cut each Aluminum Axis, hand assemble each printer (and the important stages of the kits). Each stage is inspected by hand and checked for tolerances (1/1000 is the limit).

The important aspects to a good 3D printer is stiffness of axis’, smoothness of the axis' and quality of motors. Each Axis of our printer is a Hardened steel “rail” that horizontal bearings ride on, and that rail is bolted to a 8mm thick aluminum plate using 12 - 16 3mm bolts that are torque spec bolted, while in a gig that compresses and flattens the rail to that plate. This allows the axis to move in a completely linear motion and allows the printer to accurately print the “slice”. This is what gives our printer up to 40% greater resolution than other printers.

I’m not saying that printer won’t print something, I’m just saying after learning about these things and using them, in the 3D printer game you get what you pay for x 10.

Imagine you are printing something that takes 5 hours to print and that little “belt tensioner they use flexes a bit too much because the motor surged a little and it miss prints a layer... well... there goes that print... Also the extruder looks like it was borrowed from Goodwill.

I’m not trying to sell anyone on our printers as we have a back log of 4 weeks right now!!

BUT that being said, 3D printers, the rule is, the more precise the machine the better it’s going to be.

Look at the $499 printers axis... and bearings and rails...
Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 12.58.45 PM.png

Look at our frame,rails and bearings...
M2_frame.jpg
machined_parts.jpg

And entire unit...
M2_with_MG_lrg_large.jpg

And theirs...
EZ3D-Phoenix-3D-Printer.jpg

YEAAA........

Last edited:

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
The same can be said with anything though. Of course, If you spend $1500 on something, chances are it is going to perform a lot better than a $700 unit. Will the $700 unit make something that is useable in the hobby world, probably. I use PPG and BASF paint systems. I think they are awesome, but for the hobby level, they can be expensive. Some people on here have been using a product called Nason. I have never heard of it, but it probably works great for cowls and wheel pants. With that being said, spend your money where you want. I am willing to bet the dremel 3d printer would make some cool stuff, or it probably wouldn't be nationally marketed.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Best thing I see about the Dremel unit, if you buy it at Home Depot, they have a pretty much no questions asked return policy if you return something within 30 days. So if you buy it and decide it's not up to snuff, just take it back to the store.