• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just kidding nice job on the painting you have done that a couple of times. Just one question how did you get the paint colours to match the covering.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Thanks! I'm still learning.

Well it didnt match perfectly....paint was a tad lighter. This is a friend's plane....he took pieces of monokote (ironed onto some balsa) to the paint shop. They scanned it. He and the shop thought it match pretty well, and it is close, but not perfect.

In retrospect, I should've shot a sample piece first. The paint shop could have then tweeked it before I did the rest.

They did get the white matched well....which is not always the case.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks! I'm still learning.

Well it didnt match perfectly....paint was a tad lighter. This is a friend's plane....he took pieces of monokote (ironed onto some balsa) to the paint shop. They scanned it. He and the shop thought it match pretty well, and it is close, but not perfect.

In retrospect, I should've shot a sample piece first. The paint shop could have then tweeked it before I did the rest.

They did get the white matched well....which is not always the case.
Thanks when you say paint shop an automotive paint shop or a home paint shop to do the match.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Auto paint shop. Pretty much all of them have the equipment to scan colors for matching. Although even that sometimes is pretty far off....mostly it's spot on or damn close in my experience. A bit of an art I think, to get a perfect match.

For my Krill I had the RAL paint numbers for the Castrol green, red and white, but even the green was WAY off. I ended up taking the shop's color sample book and going to Advance Auto to match up something to the green on the labels of Castrol products. Got a really nice match that way! Good thing is, I'm not matching to an existing color on the plane, since I'm painting the whole plane!!!:fist_pump:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
How is the plane coming along is it painted yet, or are you taking a sabbatical.
Good one! :LOL_gif: Yes....the "sabbatical" is doing a couple of Carden's for friends. Hopefully will be finishing up the current one in a day or so.

Meanwhile, I have the Futaba A700 servos for the wings and checking exit slots for the servo arms. Don't wish to have to modify those once painted.

Gotta say, after prepping and painting raw fiberglass stuff it'll be nice to do the Krill, which has a beautiful gel coat!
NO pin-holes to mess with!!!!!
:brian-banana:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
About 1/2 the Krill is ready for color. Two coats of primer, wet sanded after each. Not much to look at, but getting closer!
20190418_125625.jpg