• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@BalsaDust needs some help. The drawings are confusing me. Started making parts for the fuselage. But have a question. The fuselage is built from 3/8 balsa am I correct eg. Part #16 is 3/8 thick and part #14 is also 3/8 thick. So if I have it correct all the balsa is 3/8 thick but up at the motor you add 1/8 on either side making it 5/8 thick at the motor.
So at the location the Wing tube goes through the fuselage it is 5/8 thick. But it changes to 3/8 just after the wing tube. Looking at the plan view of the wing the two ply wood ribs #1 that connects to the fuselage will have 1/8 step at the trailing edge. And also the wing tube will protrude on either side of the fuselage. Am I correct or have miss understood the drawings. HELP.

BalsaDust

Ok so looking at the plans if you look at the actual parts layout section parts 14,16 are both drawn on a 1/4" sheet as well as a 3/8" sheet. They will be glued together to give you a total fuse thickness of 5/8". I drew it this way as its cheaper at least last time I priced stuff out to buy a sheet of 1/4" and a sheet of 3/8" over buying a single 5/8" thick sheet. And yes is the nose section it is a lot of 3/8" thick balsa with 1/8" ply on both sides of it. Hope this all helps.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just stepped out for a minute when I get back will look at again. Thanks. I think I understand.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok it all makes sense to me now . I see how you glue all the parts together. And all the connections in to the front plywood plate. Thanks the explanation.
One more question the 1/8 side plates for the motor do you use light ply or heavy duty aircraft ply.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just looking forward on the build. Got the fuselage drawing on the workbench and just looking how the stabilizer and elevator fit into fuselage.
@BalsaDust need some clarification please. Looks like the slot in the fuselage for the stabilizer is about 6 1/4 inch. The stabilizer I can get to fit but the elevator I can not get it in. Or do you install the elevator and stabilizer firs and then finish of the fuselage. Thanks again.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Will be making parts for a little while. Just finished the two 3mm, 5 plywood side panel motor supports and the two maple motor rails.
B49770FE-8166-4232-BEE6-410408458A66.jpeg