• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2014 3DRCForums 3D Freestyle Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing the mix of aircraft that competed in the contest I don't think making a 50cc class would do anything but take up time and resources. The 78" wing span keeps the planes in check for "affordable" rides for amateurs to compete. Although I do think the VVRC 40 twin should be allowed.

If the contest is more than 12 hours or so driving for me I will not be attending. I did have fun doing the video for it this year, but I honestly don't have the time or inclination to work as hard as these people did to get a routine put together.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'm not familiar with specific fields but I'll throw in states- NY, NJ, Northern PA. Now we do have a couple venues up in New England that could work but I realize that's stretching it. I'm with Enterprise (probably literally if we both went to the event!) on the 12 hour drive. Even that's a bit much. I will run some informal surveys on the local Facebook pages up here to get potential numbers from the region.
Gary, how about a "common" one paragraph description we could all use to describe the competition? We could write it and link it here to boost the forum.
Another thought is to stir up interest and hold regional events to get the word out on the format.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Daren,

Unfortunately, it seems that northern NE will put the contest much further than 12 hours for many contestants... And we want to be as inclusive as possible.

The rules and description will not change much from last year's event, with the first change being we'd allow up to 40cc as Matt suggested.

Since this competition won't be collocated with a 3dhs FLI, we have a lot more freedom with location.

We are currently exploring a few 3DRCF events next year, with Kennett, Missouri and Bowling Green, Kentucky being the first two we've got planned (both later in the flying season).

We want this event to be huge, and really be an all-call to amateur 3D pilots everywhere! With so many new quality 30cc planes available from some upcoming manufacturers/vendors such as Aerobeez, RedwingRC, Limitless Aero and others, we really feel this size class has a ton of potential.

Kennett will love to host next years 38, plenty of parking , camper hookups and not to mention it's like flying off a golf green, it's located 19 miles of interstate 55 in Kennett mo, hotels with in 5 min, places to eat close, and the worlds famous strawberries BBQ is 20 min away

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382886306.766530.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382886326.403707.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1382886344.795034.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1382886418.930565.jpg

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Behind the scenes antics killed the King 50. It will never have the notoriety it once had because of People who put politics ahead of doing what was best for the event.
In order for this event to succeed it will take everyone getting along to make it successful.

You have to keep in mind the school year because most of the new competitors are in School, So anything later in the summer will conflict and
be hot and humid if held in a southern location.
and an early in the summer comp is tough because of practice limitations.

There's actually very few fields in the Country that are good candidates for a 3D contest. As most clubs don't even allow 3d flying yet. Yet means still being ran by O fliers.

The Eagle Squadron has a nice place for the Event. The bowling Green field is a great field. Knoxville would be perfect.
I would like to see it at Muncie also. But doubt it would work since it seems difficult to get good attendance or sponsors at the site. But it would be a good place.
It just requires a lot of work for someone to host an event. And at a place that's not their home field makes it more difficult.
12 hour drives seem to be about standard in this hobby if you want to actually attend more than 1 or 2 good events. JMO

I don't really know of any Plane Manufactures that hold FLI's types of events other than 3DHS. Sure a few hold or sponsor a event at a club, but I sure don't know any that
have a series of them that people follow. No one else really gets out there and holds specific addict type of events to help, promote, sponsor, be onsite, help clubs raise money, ETC.

Huckfest were (Past Tense) the place to go if you wanted to have fun and not watch paint dry. But a Forum site not having good sponsors and politically cutting off there bread and butter sponsors for their events kinda don't work out so well.

Drawing lines in the sand in this hobby and then standing on the wrong side of that line doesn't make CENTS.
There's a new breed of RC adventurers coming on the scene. And they prefer the more family oriented type of events than the leave your better half at home so you can get stupid type.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Daren,

Unfortunately, it seems that northern NE will put the contest much further than 12 hours for many contestants... And we want to be as inclusive as possible.

The rules and description will not change much from last year's event, with the first change being we'd allow up to 40cc as Matt suggested.

Since this competition won't be collocated with a 3dhs FLI, we have a lot more freedom with location.

We are currently exploring a few 3DRCF events next year, with Kennett, Missouri and Bowling Green, Kentucky being the first two we've got planned (both later in the flying season).

We want this event to be huge, and really be an all-call to amateur 3D pilots everywhere! With so many new quality 30cc planes available from some upcoming manufacturers/vendors such as Aerobeez, RedwingRC, Limitless Aero and others, we really feel this size class has a ton of potential.

I hear ya on northern NE. I will put feelers out here. Perhaps we can try to do an early season inter club event with similar rules/ format and see what locals think. It will be a great opportunity to share ideas, practice and see what folks think. It's all good and moving to a good place with the 30 CC market really exploding now.

Pownal VT puts on a nice event in early June and field is apparently very nice, being a shut down dog track. We used to have a huckfest type event in Gardner MA, call Snapasaurus, but they lost their shirt on the money side last time.

The FLIs are a very specific flavor of flying event, and getting a group willing to only do 3D with the OGs is a uphill battle unless you want to do a electric only event.

If 3DRCF is going to be the primary sponsor, then it will be within range of the people sponsoring the event, where they get the most support.

I agree with Jim on the 12 hour range as that is about my limit of consideration. Joe Nall is the only exception, and that is 15 hours and I will have a second driver for that one.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The competition(s) for next year will be called:

3DRCForums 3D Showdown(s)

We will have at LEAST one...

Lets keep the discussion going! What kind of prize for 1st place would you like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.