• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2014 3DRCForums 3D Freestyle Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I can pitch the idea to my club if there is any interest in a regional competition in the PA, OH, W.Va tristate area.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I can pitch the idea to my club if there is any interest in a regional competition in the PA, OH, W.Va tristate area.

Jeff, awesome, thanks for offering to look into it.
Ideally one event/competition for all the east/north east would be good.
You're near Pittsburgh right?

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Jeff, awesome, thanks for offering to look into it.
Ideally one event/competition for all the east/north east would be good.
You're near Pittsburgh right?

Yep. We're outside Pittsburgh too not far from Pittsburgh international.

Our website is outdated but it has an image of our field.

www.gparcs.org

P.S. The food in Pittsburgh alone is enough reason to come out. Primanti's, Quaker Steak and Lube, Perogi!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Right now, most likely locations are somewhere in the Kentucky/Tennessee/Missouri area

This would be something our club could look into hosting along with an event. We are on the Iowa/NE boarder. And if it is in Missouri I know a lot of the guys around here would go to the funfly. As far as the competition part, I'm not sure. Just last year I was the first one to venture away from 40% Cardens at our field. Smaller stuff has come around but I can only think of one person with a 30cc currently. But we all like to just go to events, huck it up, and watch people throw down!

I'll keep reading and get the IA/SD/NE to try and help support the event!

My dad lives out in Kansas, and when I looked into the local RC scene, 50cc was a small plane. Seeing the wind out there and wide open spaces, I see why this occurs.

The thing about having a final competition the same season is that the events would have to be pretty close together as a lot of the participants are in school and the summer vacation season is late May to early September. So you would have to run the regionals in June and July, with the finals in August or early September at the latest.

I guess if you tell them where and when the finals are, then they could at least have a idea of if they can go or not before they compete.

The nice thing about having the finals the next season, is that they have time to get a new routine.

Another idea is to have the finalist win say the same 50cc airframe, and have to compete with it at said final event the next season. That way you get the step up and a 50cc contest in the same deal.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
My dad lives out in Kansas, and when I looked into the local RC scene, 50cc was a small plane. Seeing the wind out there and wide open spaces, I see why this occurs.

The thing about having a final competition the same season is that the events would have to be pretty close together as a lot of the participants are in school and the summer vacation season is late May to early September. So you would have to run the regionals in June and July, with the finals in August or early September at the latest.

I guess if you tell them where and when the finals are, then they could at least have a idea of if they can go or not before they compete.

The nice thing about having the finals the next season, is that they have time to get a new routine.

Another idea is to have the finalist win say the same 50cc airframe, and have to compete with it at said final event the next season. That way you get the step up and a 50cc contest in the same deal.

You want to keep the "amateur" and pocketbooks in mind. Remember the motivation of this competition, as I understand it, was to keep it available to "everyone". When you start throwing (literally and figuratively) 50cc around you start narrowing the opportunity window for many.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yeah, it'll stay an amateur comp, and as such, we likely won't have a big finals or a next season follow on.
Based on the results last year, the winner or runner up may be ineligible next season anyway!

Winning a regional event is a pretty big deal, and with the expected distance between them, it'd be hard to travel to both.

As of today, we're leaning towards two competitions, and are hoping to have both competitions during the summer, likely July/August timeframe, to allow for max participation!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Yeah, it'll stay an amateur comp, and as such, we likely won't have a big finals or a next season follow on.
Based on the results last year, the winner or runner up may be ineligible next season anyway!

Winning a regional event is a pretty big deal, and with the expected distance between them, it'd be hard to travel to both.

As of today, we're leaning towards two competitions, and are hoping to have both competitions during the summer, likely July/August timeframe, to allow for max participation!

It's not going to be perfected in two seasons. The great thing is the effort by the forum and the community to spread the word and develop this hybrid format that represents the best of the disciplines out there in an amateur, "fly what you have" and "bring it" competition. Good stuff.

gyro

GSN Contributor
LOL, IMO I think the GCA club field(where the NJ FLI is held) is a perfect field for the NE region competition to occur.

Not a bad suggestion Dan, it's a known quantity... Just wont be a part of a FLI there.

Jake, thanks for spreading the word in the mid-west. We want as much participation as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.